Channels not tuning in on TV

abs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just moved my old sony 46nx713 lcd upstairs to the bedroom and can't get any channels on freeview. I've rescanned and I got maybe 1 or 2 channels but no bbc, itv etc.. BBC 1 is just a mess picture is broken into horizontal strips and can't be watched. I've unplugged the aerial from the wall and tried rescanning and then replacing the aerial and doing it again but the same. It says 93 channels found? Any ideas?

I've just moved my old sony 46nx713 lcd upstairs to the bedroom

That suggests you've got a new TV downstairs?
Move the new TV upstairs and try it on the upstairs aerial point.
That will tell you if there's a problem with the upstairs aerial outlet.

That suggests you've got a new TV downstairs?
Move the new TV upstairs and try it on the upstairs aerial point.
That will tell you if there's a problem with the upstairs aerial outlet.

Don't think that'll happen, the new TV is 70 inch.. Lol.. Could it be something to do with freeview being returned to a different frequency and my roof aerial may not be compatible? I think I might have read something online about this possibly? If that's the case I'll need to look into an indoor aerial?

There obviously is a problem with the upstairs TV output as presumably the Sony was working OK downstairs.
Could it be something to do with freeview being returned to a different frequency and my roof aerial may not be compatible?
That, even if they did, (which they didn't) it would be too much of a coincidence and the new TV wouldn't work OK if that were the case. I assume it does, but you have not said.
If that's the case I'll need to look into an indoor aerial?
Whet you really need to be looking into is why your upstairs aerial output is not actually connected to your aerial. Is there a male TV socket alongside the female one by the downstairs TV, possibly marked 'Return'

First describe the aerial installation... Where it comes into the home, what bits there are (amplifiers, aka boosters, or splitter and where thay are located to distribute the signal to cables and/or sockets in the room(s).

Plus Location - roughly where you are so we know which transmitter(s)/frequencies and hence TV channels are likely to be received.

Then we stand a chance of giving some suitable useful advice.

NB Start by taking the TV back downstairs to tune it in on the incoming aerial feed. Then don't retune it again when back upstairs as it will help with diagnosis.
Unless you are in a funny location where, for some odd reason, two transmitters are received and one used down with another upstairs.

93 channels found should mean you get 93 - albeit some poorly with breakup. As 99% of problems are caused by poor connections and cables look over them all with a critical eye.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom