1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channeling cables into a wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Steve E, May 18, 2005.

1. Steve E

Steve E
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We've recently moved into a new house (1930's built) and I'm looking to sort out the AV wiring for the home. I'm using the loft as the main starting point and now have TV/FM/Phone/Cat5e distribution up there. I've worked out the best routes for getting cables to every room where I need them (non-destructively) apart from the lounge/dining room. This is going to require me to channel cable into a brick wall.

The wall that I have to use is on one side of a chimney so I can't 'fake' a wall by using plasterboard as it wouldn't be the same depth as the wall on the other side of the chimney. I've also been told by the missus that she doesn't want me to 'box' it into the corner either. It's got the be channeled. Ideally I'd like to make a channel big enough for quite a few cables (at least 5 x CT100, 5 x Cat5e and 3 x Phone) in some sort of conduit so that I can pull new runs or replace cable.

Any hints/tips anybody? I can turn my hand to a lot of things but the thought of cutting a bloody great big gash down my wall scares the **** out of me! What sort of width/depth can I safely go to?

Help, :lease:

Steve

2. Steve E

Steve E
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having done a bit more research on this site, I've seen a recommendation of hiring an SDS+ hammer drill & chisel. I'll do some ringing round the local hire shops tomorrow. Anyone got any experience of using one of these? Comments? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

steve

3. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Is your house 2 storey?
    If you would like to make the installation with future cable pulling in mind,
    with that many cables, I would say you will need at 'least' 2 runs of 25mm
    conduit.
    If your house is 2 storey, you also have to get through the first floor.
    Lifting floorboards, getting the conduit past any joists that happen to be in
    the way etc.
    As for chasing the walls, no problem, well.....if it is an old house, the chances
    are, the bricks will be hard so you will work up a sweat........ :smashin:
    Just make sure you scan the walls first, with a cable and pipe detector.
    HTH

Johnny.

4. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i work for a hire shop. sds hammer drills are very good for this sort of thing. also consider a wall chaser which will cut straight grooves in walls. normaly about £50 for a days hire. sds drills or breakers as they are also called are about £10 for a day plus sharpening charge on chisels.

5. Steve E

Steve E
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Johnny, I hadn't thought about scanning the walls first - good point!

My house is two story and luckily there's a built-in cupboard on the first floor directly above the wall I'm going to be cutting into so I've already lifted floorboards in there to check for easy access. My plan was to just run the cables internally in the cupboard (boxed-in) and the go through the floorboard, behind the coving and into the wall on the ground-floor.

Coombes - is a wall-chaser a disc-cutter?

Steve

6. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    sort of. has 2 discs which you can set different distances apart. try hire center web site might have info

7. dupontin

dupontin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine has just used a wall chaser to lay cables all over his house
    (concrete floor, and brick walls)
    The best suggestion is "you must get a wall chaser and the industrial vacuum cleaner to go with it." (from some Hire shop in Kent)

if you don't, you'll be cleaning up for a month of sundays. My friend got this builder friend of his to use the unit, the builder ordered his own unit 3 days later (he's never done this sort of work before) and he said it was so much fun to use as well.

:thumbsup: :smashin:
    M

8. Steve E

Steve E
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Industrial vacuum is another good idea - not sure if the Dyson would be up to it! ;)

9. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I might have missed something here, but why not 'Fake' it by using plasterboard to box both sides of the chimney to even things up? It would give a large amount of cable space - and runs both sides if necessary.

Regards

B