1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel Logos

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by kennydies, May 14, 2001.

1. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a quick query. I have wondered if the channel logos, ie the ones that are permanently displayed in yout TV corner can burn your TV sceen? Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Normal CRTs won't be affected. If you have a rear-projection TV, the manual will normally warn you that it can burn the screen but this may take some time. However, many logos are now lightly transparent in order to reduce the impact of the logo (more for visual reasons I suspect rather than for RPTV owners).

So if you have a CRT TV, don't worry. If you have a RPTV, this question has been asked before and Jenz and others could offer their views as long time owners of RPTVs.

:)

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own an RP set and avoid having the logo on the screen if possible (I "zoom" it out), it annoys the wife because the tops of people's heads can go missing! Keeping the contrast low will help and it has to be said that some logos are "harder" than others (Eurosport is quite a bright logo).

4. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wonder if the logo did permanently burn the tv if you could hold the broadcaster responsible.

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well you'd certainly have permanent evidence that it was their logo that caused the damage. :D

However, your question raises an interesting issue as to whether broadcasters are aware of the damage that logos can cause to RPTVs as well as other permanent images (such as clocks on news channels, etc.), particularly as this type of set is no longer 'rare' in the UK.

6. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bh, well the bad news is that both the RP set and the channel logo originated in the States and the channels still output those very bright logos. I have read a fair bit from American RP set owners bitching about NBC's logo.

I did notice that during the American football season the channel logos had a habit of moving around the screen, good idea.

Certain channels (Sky one, E4) remove their logos during ad breaks and the E4 one seems to change shape between programs. Some of the MTV ones now rotate and move.

But the good news is that I have never seen burn in on an RP telly except when it is part of an arcade game at a Motorway service station with VERY sharp, bright, static images.

7. Vis Man

Vis Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I spoke to a company today who left there plasma on all night on sky news the logo has burnt the screen. I have told them to leave the plasma on a black screen for 24 hours this will hopefully reverse the burn (recomended buy NEC). If this doesnt work then a blue screen for a further 24.