Channel balance in my room

MJeeves

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a good hi-fi and home cinema set-up and am generally very VERY pleased with the sound quality. However, when listening to stereo recordings, the sound does seem to be "balanced" towards the left channel rather than evenly spread across both the left and right front channels. I have played with the BALANCE control to no real avail.

My room is rectangular (almost square) and behind the speakers I have a think curtain (black-out for home cinema). The curtain is NOT at the same distance behind the speakers because there is a bay window behind them. The curtain is nearer to the LEFT speaker than the RIGHT speaker. The RIGHT speaker is slightly nearer the listening position which is directly between the speakers (front baffle of speaker showing equally). Also, behind the RIGHT channel speaker is my REL subwoofer. Both speakers are fed by the same amps and there is no difference on the opposite wall.

How can I make my speakers sound balanced?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

From what you would say i'd guess its a bass balance problem. If your speakers came with port bungs try them

BenW said:
From what you would say i'd guess its a bass balance problem. If your speakers came with port bungs try them

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. The PROACS have reeded (special ones filled with straws) ports and they are in the front of the speaker. Also, they didn't come with port bungs.

I have to be honest and say that it is the vocals that are most obviously "unbalanced" and not so much the bass. Thanks all the same for you time in replying and suggestion.

Are you able to move the speakers so they're both equal distance from the listening position?

Jase said:
Are you able to move the speakers so they're both equal distance from the listening position?

Yes, and I have had them at equal distance (down to the last cm's), but due to the balance issue I moved the right speaker very slightly forward (nearer) and the left (louder) channel very slightly back. I think the right speaker is about 3 or 4 inches further forward (nearer) toward the listening position. My room is about 15 ft by 12ft. I believe that this has helped but the balance issue is still there, but not as noticeable as it was when the speakers were the same distance from the listening position.

I'm sure that this is a issue with the rear wall/window behind the speakers. Do you think?

Certainly could be an acoustic issue which would mean treatments or EQ is needed. Might be a long shot but have you tried swapping speakers over? Might help in case it's a speaker issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom