Channel A/B speakers on a Yamaha a-s 2100. Might be a dumb question

KKooki

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Whilst researching if my yamaha a-s 2100 yamaha could power some PMC Ob1i speakers I noticed that speakers A/B may have different ohm impedance settings.

For example the Ob1i is 6ohms it seems. And ProAc D18 are 8ohms.

Out of curiosity which one should it be connected to? I would have thought Channel Awohld have been for the class À output? Or the best one to use?

I've only had the amp for a month so it's all new to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210201_143550_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210201_143550_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 38
Hello,

Whilst researching if my yamaha a-s 2100 yamaha could power some PMC Ob1i speakers I noticed that speakers A/B may have different ohm impedance settings.

For example the Ob1i is 6ohms it seems. And ProAc D18 are 8ohms.

Out of curiosity which one should it be connected to? I would have thought Channel Awohld have been for the class À output? Or the best one to use?

I've only had the amp for a month so it's all new to me.
To clarify the speakers.. Using A or B .. you can use up to 4ohm minimal speakers...

This means that on A "OR" B .. you can use either 4, 6 or 8Ohm speakers

If you are using BOTH A and B terminals .. you can only use up to 8ohm speakers.. You cannot use 4ohm speakers or 6 ohm loads if using both sets. You would have to use 8ohm speakers on both sets..

Hope that clarifies things for you

Yes and thanks! For a moment they are both 8ohms but I got a little confused when I saw different writing on the back. So then if I was to. Upgrade andnrun the Ob1i (which I was considering to purchase) I can't run the other speakers on my desk at the same time.

But if the ob1i are that powerful then I wouldn't need to. Though maybe it's best to keep it simple and get proac d18s as they are then both 8ohms.

Yes and thanks! For a moment they are both 8ohms but I got a little confused when I saw different writing on the back. So then if I was to. Upgrade andnrun the Ob1i (which I was considering to purchase) I can't run the other speakers on my desk at the same time.

But if the ob1i are that powerful then I wouldn't need to. Though maybe it's best to keep it simple and get proac d18s as they are then both 8ohms.
In your current configuration of 1 x 6ohm and 1 x 8ohm .. you would only be able to run A .. "OR" B .. as per the Yamaha's instructions

As to which speaker you run.. that is down to taste and preference. But.. what i will say is that the amp will be sharing its power across both sets of terminals.. so if running A + B the amp is trying to power 4 speakers... as opposed to delivering all power into just a single pair

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom