CHANNEL 5 tonight - plasma v lcd

samjet

Ex Member
Reaction score
channel 5 tonight 7.15 the gadget show

...tests flat screen tv's pitting plasma against lcd for picture quality

should be interesting :D

Dave-S said:
Depends on wether there so called experts know what to look for and carry out actuall tests, rather than just compare a couple of DVDs :D

I hope they do just compare a couple of dvd's, what else do you do with your tv? What would the tests prove?

Oooo Goody Goody i'm gonna enjoy that.... but we'll have to see whether the missus will sit through it or if she'll be scrapping for the remote. he he

Sandman said:
I hope they do just compare a couple of dvd's, what else do you do with your tv? What would the tests prove?

Well, tests for images from all souces would be good.

Ie
rig the plamsa and LCD to the same,
Sky digital.
DVD player Via the same inputs Componenet or RGB scart.
VHS Video recorder.
and analoge feeds.

Test for clarity of image on fast moving objects , pixelastion, mosquito noise,VIdeo tearing or sheering, screen resoultion, How good are black levels ect.
All the screens should be set to a standard before testing , maybe set up with Digital Video essentials so you can compare the screens on equal terms.

There is more comparing plasmas and LCDs than just putting on a DVD and watching for a couple of minutes on each one. At least that is what I would do before making any significant purchase of this type of product. :)

what is needed imo is a simple comparison - forget all the techno blurb and component feeds etc

99% of the public want to see which has the better picture straight from the box with say sky and their one box home cinema kit and a scart lead

people in general just want a telly - panels etc are just not on the public agenda nor widely available on the high street - and forget about set up discs and isf in the same breath!

sometimes we on the forums forget that we are a vey small minority in the scale of things :D

Ha ha the gadget show is a joke! i remember when they were testing camera phones, instead of testing each phone under the same condition, they took a nokia in a pub with flurecent lighting, a SE outside under the sun, and a Motorola in the back of a dark car and THEN judged which was best.... now is that really a good way to compare cameras?

il watch tho.. need a good laugh at their pathetic comparisons

samjet said:
what is needed imo is a simple comparison - forget all the techno blurb and component feeds etc

99% of the public want to see which has the better picture straight from the box with say sky and their one box home cinema kit and a scart lead

people in general just want a telly - panels etc are just not on the public agenda nor widely available on the high street - and forget about set up discs and isf in the same breath!

sometimes we on the forums forget that we are a vey small minority in the scale of things :D

Spot On and Very true!

When I compared a 40" LCD with a 42" SD Plasma viewing several Freeview channels at home one evening - the Plasma won hands down - much more natural colours and viewing experience and no hint of viewing angle issues.

I would be surprised if they do not come to the same conclusion.

Gussie :)

Yeah but how many of us watching last weeks wanted to buy one of those HD camcorders.
I could just see me sitting watching hours of HD footage of my cat running about the back garden :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Dave-S said:

Test for clarity of image on fast moving objects , pixelastion, mosquito noise,VIdeo tearing or sheering, screen resoultion, How good are black levels ect.

I agree, and watching a couple of dvd's or a few hours of digital tv would show all this. If you are happy with your plasma you shouldn’t be at all worried about what The Gadget Show thinks about it. There is a tendency to defend whatever you have bought after spending a lot of money on it, at least the gadget show shouldn’t be biased in any way. I will be watching with an open mind but whatever the outcome I will remain very happy with my 42" PWD7. :)

Last time they done this their conclusion was to buy a 28" panasonic widescreen crt.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-TX28PN1

This is the screen i was going to buy until i done my own research and bought a panasonic plasma.

I would take their views with a pinch of salt.

Jason Bradbury couldn't really back up his claim after the show was aired!

http://www.jasonbradbury.com/jason_bradbury/2005/02/best_tv_for_the.html#comments

I think he ended up looking really stupid,as he could'nt answer the e-mails that where sent to him.

"I didn't do the TV review item on The Gadget Show - but simply gathered some info on the product for my site. So, if you want a thorough review of the TV you'd best just do the Google thang!

Jason"

prick!

the previous test was a joke. i think all old "emphasised voice" guy will care about is number of pixels and HDMI.

i remeber the best pic quality test between CRT, PLASMA & LCD.
Of course they got photographers in so they could ask their opinons.
Also the result was the CRT can give the best pic quality (can't it?) but can you get 32"-50" CRT's and put them on the wall ?

yeah chaddy I seen that too, stuck around 8 screens in a room and played some dvds. I cant remember but I'm sure they didnt even play the same dvd on the screens.

we'll just have to wait n see.......

exactly thats why people go for plasmas, i can see that my old JVC 28" CRT gave better PQ then my 37" PV500 (only just tho).
Like i said with HDTV coming round the corner i'd rather have a 37" palsma on the wall then a 37" CRT that will take up half the room.

nath69uk said:
yeah chaddy I seen that too, stuck around 8 screens in a room and played some dvds. I cant remember but I'm sure they didnt even play the same dvd on the screens.

we'll just have to wait n see.......
i think it was a car going round a race track, the photographers where looking for stuff they find on a photo.

completely off topic but that art fella who is rating the pc`s against the mac just had me laughing,he was ripping into the advent home pc and to my eyes it looked almost identical to an arcam dvd player lol.

You can even see even on TV that non of those have been calibrated!

a fujitsu & a goodmans against a sharp aquos ?

why not do a bit of reasearch get a panni or LG or Pioneer against the sharp ?

The fuji is just an hitachi panel with some processing, they could of get a real Fuji in!, same price as that LCD as well.

just caught the end but set 3 (LCD?) looked very very washed out, 1 (fujitsu?) looked far better although blacks didnt seem to have much detail colour was much better. :)

at least the summary was fair - the most expensive screen wasnt worth 4 times the cheapest. Had he bought the cheapest he would have been perfectly happy.

It didnt really answer the question of which is better though - but we all know the answer to that ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom