1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel 5 Reception

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Peter Baker, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've just bought a Digifusion FVRT 100 Freeview receiver/HDD.
    Set up was simple, and I have great reception on most channels, but blocky and unwatchable Channel 5. As my watching interests are mainly US shows shown on this channel this is a bit of a problem!

To be honest, I'm not entirely surprised, as whilst I am in central London, I am in a block of flats with a shared aerial, which I cannot access. Also analogue reception through this aerial is also very poor. I currently use analogue cable feeding my tivo, but wanted the digital option.
    However it's really frustrating to have perfect reception on all channels except the one I most want!!
    Having spoken to the support desk they recommend redoing the search process a couple of times.
    Just wondering if there are other options.
    Are all Freeview boxes similar in terms of tuner reception strength, or should I consider other options. If this is the case I would like to keep the HDD option, so perhaps Humax?
    Do aerial signal strength boosters work? If so, which one?
    How about internal aerials?

On another point, the remote only seems to work from about 3 ft from the receiver. Is this a known problem?

Many thanks for any assistance
    Peter

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    What sort of aerial have you got now ?
    Do you have any boosters / amplifers on the system ?
    Are the other channels on the same MUX as C5 poor as well ?

3. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    All good questions, but
    It is a shared aerial on the roof, which I cannot access. It was installed by the developers and the current mangement company do not appear to know what it is, or whether it has boosters on it.
    I do not know which other cahnnels are on the same MUX\(Iguess this is transmitter) as Channel 5. I am in EC1 if this helps.
    Thanks very much for your interest
    Peter

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Each channel is part of a set of MUX, see the below.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/cgi-bin/www.d...retailer/dtt_channels.htm+Channel Allocations

Channel 5 is on MUX A along with QVC, bid-up.tv etc.... So I presume you can't get them either ? Though I suspect that your not that bothered !!

Anyway...You've got a new box which is meant to be ok, don't know much about it though.

Is the development new ? e.g so the aerial is likely to be new ?

B&Q, Index etc all sell Maxview boosters. The amplification is measured in db gain, some have a high and low setting as you don't won't to over boost errors and cause more. You could try a booster and see if it helps.

This are the boosters you'll find in the B&Q and Index.
    http://www.maxview.ltd.uk/ret_signal.htm

Argos sell some as well but not that powerful though they do have a 16 day returns policy if it doesn't work ;-)

A high gain wide band aerial would be good for digital tv, you might have one already just in a poor reception area which it sounds like. If the booster doesn't work perhaps you can get on the roof find out what aerial you have and get the managment company to update it. Its around a £100 to install a aerial, I'm sure they wouldn't complain if you paid !