Channel 4 tonight (Thursday 19th Nov) - Scary "Matrix" stufff

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by the_pauley, Nov 19, 2003.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    "The Matrix Defense" Just saw this trailered on 4. It's on in about half an hour. Looks like those "Matrix" fanboys are scarier than we thought! :(

(Post edited: Sorry! I mistakenly put Thursday 19th instead of Wednesday 19th on the original post heading.)

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I read the write-up for it in the TV pages. It's about someone that killed his parents and then blamed it on the Matrix film.

Only in America....

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Today is WEDNESDAY 19th November - not being pedantic, I just didn't want people to think it was tomorrow and miss it ;)

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that happens over here too, lets not forget certain newspapers Daily M**L for example always love to report scare stories, :NewsFlash: latest headlines "pet rottweiler kills owner after watching Suspiria" then u get the calls to ban it etc etc.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Why do you instantly dismiss the idea that this could be real? - some people really do have serious mental health issues, are completely unable to distinguish fantasy from reality, and can be hugely influenced by books, films, tv shows etc...

6. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fairness, who's to say they aren't right. We could be in a Matrix like state right now and we wouldn't know.

7. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I know there are people that have mental health problems, but I really don't believe that watching a film (or playing a game) will make someone go out and repeat what they've just seen.

Having watched the program so far, this seems to have been proved.

The first main person they focused on was Joshua Cooke. It seems his lawyer cooked up the Matrix defence in order to try and get her client off.

The second one, Tonda someone made a list of people she considered to be after her. She gunned down one person, and was caught by police before she could get to the next person on her list.

Investigation into her past found evidence of mental problems long before the Matrix film.

The fact that the film has this whole alternate reality theme to it is a convenient defence for these people.

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I completely agree that The Matrix could not make someone commit a crime, but I believe that it could be a contributory factor for someone who already has mental health problems...

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

Oh dear :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't say I believed it :p

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I agree with Lex, which was basically what one of the psychiatrists on the programme said.

That any film or video game by itself cannot cause a mental illness, only that it could tip a mentally ill person over the edge, or alter their perception slightly.

Maybe we need to stop thinking about the ratings we give films, and just exclude mentally ill people with a violent disposition from seeing violent films.

I saw Terminator when i was about 10, and i turned out fine. Well so far. ;)

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well... it's probably Thursday in the Matrix! :blush:

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Clockwork Orange

14. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Mmm yes, i fancy a glass of milk!

15. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    followed by a bit of Ludvik Van?

16. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    maybe a bit of the old in/out?

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Watched the "Matrix Defence" last night, and the show was hardly the greatest piece of documentary TV I've seen.

I think Channel Four, are just trying to push the buttons on people, and get them to watch anything that might be remotely controversial. There seems to have been no actual thought into why this particular film was being singled out by these particular people! :mad:

Admittedly, anyone who claims that a TV or film made them go out and do something bad, MUST have something wrong with them already. There is not one single piece of evidence that can be show to link film violence and real-life criminal violence!

I;ve seen some of the most horrible and violent films ever made, enjoyed them for what they are, but you don't see me waking down the street, carrying an Uzi, and chanting "kill, kill, kill" to myself!

What is it with the public who want to keep linking violent films with violence in society? A good documentary that IS worth watching, though, is Michael Moore's amazing "Bowling For Columbine"! :eek: An amazing film, and definitely the best reason for showing to anyone who thinks that firearms don't kill or that violence on TV relates to violence in society. The "K-Mart" sequence was really haunting, as was the animated sequence!

Pooch

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Jeffrey Dahmer was strongly influenced by one film. He used to watch it before going out to look for a victim, and he obviously was fascinated by one particular character in it. When he was caught the police found plans for a sort of shrine, made from the bones of his victims, and including a chair that was modelled on the one used by the character in the film.

And which film was it, I hear you ask? "Return Of The Jedi". And the character he was so fascinated by the was the Emperor.

So yes, people certainly can be influenced, even influenced homicidally, by movies. But you have to be fairly unbalanced to begin with (Dahmer killed people and then ate them!). And there's not really any way of telling which films are going to be latched onto. ROTJ was a U certificate, and not the most obvious candidate for censorship.

19. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point of TV, magazines, books etc is to offer up something rare. As i said in another thread you will not turn on the news and here about a guy making eggs for breakfast. If people want to watch a programme about a few children going of the rails and think that that means we should reogranise society and impose bans then I am afraid it is them who suffer from mental delusions. All printed/broadcast media deals with the exception to the rule whether it be a film where the couple are in love forever with no probelms. A book that offers a controversail view of life or a magazine that offers a review (how much more rare can you get than one personview?). Perhaps a more well researched approach into these peoples lives would determine that the damage was done more from the fact they were left alone, unutured and uncared for to watch TV all the time, rather than what the TV was saying.