Channel 4 HD is coming... but only to Sky???

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Nivek TT, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
  2. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Sadly, VM don't seem interested in providing their customers with HD channels. Sure, many of the HD channels in the UK are Sky's - it's fairly obvious why they aren't exactly breaking their back to get those if indeed Sky would let them have them - but a number are not.

Indeed, aside from the major traditional terrestrial broadcasters (BBC, ITV, 4, 5) most of the channels on VM are still stuck in 4:3 and haven't got to 16:9 yet, let alone HD. I know lots of these are fairly cheapo efforts, but I must say it does annoy me when many of the UKTV channels (eg UKTV) broadcast fairly recent material made in 16:9 in 4:3 :mad:

3. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    Lets be fair, all those channels that appear 4:3 on Virgin Media also appear 4:3 everywhere else, inc. Sky. But, its also fair to say that Virgin Media TV are responsible for a significant chunk of those channels. Still, there are rumours the Virgin channels will be widescreen by early next year.

I will be astonished if Virgin let Channel 4 HD end up being exclusive to satellite, even if only for a few months. I thought Virgin and Channel 4 had a good working reationship.

What the hell has happened to Virgin..? I remember when Telewest were the first to launch an HD service in the UK and were proud to stay at least one step ahead of ADSL broadband. All the value of cable is just falling away :(

I had a lot of hopes for an HD Channel 4, the best broadcaster in the UK IMO. Still waiting to hear if satellite is a possibility in my apartment building but if the main terrestrial broadcasters introduce HD channels exclusive to Sky I think I'm calling it a day with cable :(

4. kraized

kraized

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can't believe this isn't available to VM customers. I mean. Didn't VM sponsor BB on C4 this year. Haven't C4 and VM got a deal going regarding C4OD service. I mean WTF?

5. rn143

rn143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Its only been announced today! Give them some time, a lot of things could happen between now and December. BTW its a free service and its not launching on the Sky package, just on the same platform Sky use, so the only thing Sky would have to do with it is to give it an EPG number on their system.

6. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'd be amazed if it's not on Virgin at launch. It's just sky's the first to "do the deal" their publicly stating it's not exclusive.

Rumour i've heard is that all virgins channels (V1, Living, Bravo etc) will be Widescreen in January. Time will tell, at least it's a positive rumour!

7. Decadent Fool

Decadent Fool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Plenty of time to iron out the creases of a deal with VM

8. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    I may have started a false scare here but it just worries me that the article was all about satellite and no mention of cable. Lets hope I've assumed incorrectly on this one.

Some people on other forums have thought the same and already spammed Channel 4 / Virgin with emails. Hopefully some official word will come along soon with some news (good or bad).

The guardians article, http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2172500,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=4 , does say it is coming to cable in the future, suggesting at first it will be Sky exclusive.

9. alienandy

alienandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I'e just had one of those "NOOOOOOOO" moments with my hands in the air as i saw this post.

I tried to find a press release section of the c4 website. Unfortunately the main one is for press only, with passwords and the other one is for their news service only.

I can't imagine that it would be a sky exlcusive and december is a fair while away. We only knew about the ITV trail aout a fortnight before it started.

If it is an exclusive deal, there's bound to be lots of publicity from sky in our faces. So if we don't see any in the next few weeks, that would suggest that it isnt exclusive.

MB

11. Decadent Fool

Decadent Fool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Channel 4 is, believe it or not, a public service broadcaster in a similar-ish way to the BBC. So, I'd be suprised if with their desire and requirement to open up the channels, they didn't include Virgin. Maybe not straight away, but soon enough :)

He says, hoping :D

12. geekydaz

geekydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If Virginmedia don't initially carry the channel, then I would hope that a number of CH4's HD programes will be made available to us, via OnDemand.

13. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I imagine that channel 4 would be more than happy to supply HD to virgin. It's just a question of whether VM can be bothered to carry it.
    Out of interest, is the bandwidth for TV reserved or would they have to rob some of the broadband capacity.
    I am beginning to think that VM made a huge mistake going with mpeg2 for their HD set top boxes because they were cheaper at the time (probably a decision by some company bean counter). What with TV on demand and mpeg2 HD channels, VM have run out of capacity and this is why they are now traffic shaping their BB.
    They should have all the new HD and on demand stuff at H264.

-Neil

14. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I hope we do get this. I'm desperate for more HD channels, rather than on demand stuff

15. iainoco

iainoco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    It would make sense for VM to have C4HD but since I've been a subscriber there has been NO increase in HD programming. I'm now seriously considering getting an ugly dish on the side of my house :mad:

16. Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Its strange to think, considering that C4 and VM are pretty much married, that Sky would be getting C4HD first :(

17. ashepherd

ashepherd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been really disappointed by Virgin's failure to show any interest in their HD capability - the relaunch was a great opportunity but we seem to have ended up with the lowest common denomintor rather than the best of each of the original companies. I really can't believe that Virgin will actually fail to pick up the PSB HD channels in the end, but why do they have to let Sky make the running yet again? I've been holding out against a move to satellite after all these years, but I think this would be the last straw.

18. kmark40

kmark40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Likewise. I have been with them since july 06 and my primary objective was more HD in the future. My contract runs out in March, so I'll wait until then. If it doesn't look any better, then I'm going to Sky unfortunately :(

19. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Now that the BBC have been given the go-ahead for a regular HD service later this year you would think that Virgin would be quick off the mark telling us that it was coming within their HD line-up(!). According to the BBC News bulletin I heard yesterday,and the BBC News website the channel will be broadcast for up to 9 hours a day and will be a combination of stuff from all 4 beeb channels rather than a shadow version of BBC1. Also it said that it will be available to Satellite and Cable viewers only. Where is the announcement from Virgin ?. If they were taking this on board with Channel 4 I'd be first in queue to sign up for a V+ box.

20. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    lets not hold our breath! Ive been with VM/ntl for nearly 5 years now and more or less everything ive been told with regards to HD hasnt happened so far.

Anyone know if the Virgin one channel will be in HD?

Mark

21. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    It :censored: should be, and its got the :censored: content! But it looks like its a no :(

Bet its not even in :censored: widescreen :mad:

22. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Rumours * are that it's going to be in black and white 4:3. :eek:

* Rumours that i'm starting now....

23. radical ed

radical ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    the "real" bbc hd channel should be on virgin. the channels already and is broadcast 24/7 (the preview) there so it should be just a matter of switching the feeds.

I do think that 4hd will be on virgin. Its just that sky have gone for publicity and tried to show that they are better than vm, by announcing early they have it. I dont belive for 1 second that VM wont show it. can you imagine the outcry? actually you dont need to imagine, have a look at any hd/cable/av forum and this topic is on every single one. and some one at vm must have noticed....

24. twobells

twobells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They did with the History Channel HD, don't you remember earlier in the year the 'history channel hd' listing in the hd menu?
    Then lo and behold it disappeared when the History Channel HD actually STARTED broadcasting?
    I checked the HC HD website and it stated categorically: 'All you need is a tuner that can receive HD'.
    So I rang them and asked what was going on, why weren't they on VM?
    "Um, atm the we are only with SKY"

Says it all.............

tb

25. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Perhaps I should try to track down an old 405 line set !!!!!