• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Channel 4 ditches DAB plans

Cable Monkey

Not good news for DAB, there is very little on DAB as it is. So no real reason to buy DAB.

There is more choice on DAB than on any other radio system. And not everyone (myself for instance) has access to internet radio or the means to pay for it.

m.stephens

There is more choice on DAB than on any other radio system. And not everyone (myself for instance) has access to internet radio or the means to pay for it.

A normal FM receiver plus a Freeview box covers most things if you don't want to pay anything at all. Those with Sky or Cable or Broadband internet have even less incentive to invest in DAB.

ad47uk

Not much choice here. People who got DAB have been lied to, we was told about the great quality of DAB, that was a lie. Other people who got DAD uses it for a few stations you can't get on FM, but a lot of these stations are on Freeview and it don't take much to stick a freeview audioo out into a hi-fi or even some cheap amplified speakers and you get slightly better quality than DAB. I know someone who have done that, got a set of cheap computer style speakers and got a adaptor to connect it to their freeview box. They are in their 70's and they done that on their own back.

Internet radio is not that good anyway, you may get the odd station with good sound, but most f them are so poor they make DAB sound good.

I got DAB for one station and that station vanished a few months after I had the radio. I did use it for a while just for BBC radio five live at night. It have failed now, not bothering with another one.

I know a few people who have DAB and was looking for more choice and now that Ch4 have decided not tot bother with DAB, these people don't see the need to use DAB now.

some people like choice and now with less stations on DAB and Ch4 bailing out, they will no doubt find other means.

Other people just stick their radio on one station and it don't move, my parents listen to te local station and have not moved the dial for years. My hi-fi radio have been stuck on classic FM for a year. I do listen to Magic via Freeview now and again.

Sonic67

Banned
My DAB radio gets just under 60 stations. It's more than Freeviews offering. Where's Classic FM on Freeview? Also Freeview isn't an option on my car's head unit, or for a personal or portable player. I also don't have cable in my bedroom.

anthony.rowell

Standard Member
They are just after you switching from FM to DAB it is a money thing !scrap old tuner and buy new dab one,s ! FM is very good and has always been good ! they create a new market for money !

Sonic67

Banned
You can say that about a lot of things:

They are just after you switching from Analogue to Digital it is a money thing !scrap old tuner and buy new Freeview one,s ! Analogue is very good and has always been good ! they create a new market for money !

They are just after you switching from vinyl to CD it is a money thing !scrap old record player and buy new CD one,s ! Vinyl is very good and has always been good ! they create a new market for money !
etc.

As far as I know FM isn't being scrapped and by the time it is DAB+ might be here then anyway.

Cable Monkey

Not much choice here. People who got DAB have been lied to, we was told about the great quality of DAB, that was a lie. Other people who got DAD uses it for a few stations you can't get on FM, but a lot of these stations are on Freeview and it don't take much to stick a freeview audioo out into a hi-fi or even some cheap amplified speakers and you get slightly better quality than DAB. I know someone who have done that, got a set of cheap computer style speakers and got a adaptor to connect it to their freeview box. They are in their 70's and they done that on their own back.

Internet radio is not that good anyway, you may get the odd station with good sound, but most f them are so poor they make DAB sound good.

I got DAB for one station and that station vanished a few months after I had the radio. I did use it for a while just for BBC radio five live at night. It have failed now, not bothering with another one.

I know a few people who have DAB and was looking for more choice and now that Ch4 have decided not tot bother with DAB, these people don't see the need to use DAB now.

some people like choice and now with less stations on DAB and Ch4 bailing out, they will no doubt find other means.

Other people just stick their radio on one station and it don't move, my parents listen to te local station and have not moved the dial for years. My hi-fi radio have been stuck on classic FM for a year. I do listen to Magic via Freeview now and again.
Don't start that mantra about being lied to again! :) Most folks buying DAB now were kids or unborn when the 'lieing' happened! Most if not all know exactly what it can or cannot do and buy having made informed choices. Take a look in your local branches of Comet, Dixons et al and tell me how many radios sold don't do DAB. My 19 year old listens to it all the time (1xtra) and I think she is lucky because when I was her age, in order to listen to my chosen music styles on radio I had to wait for a 2 hour weekly slot on local radio. She gets it 24/7. We all know it could be better, and live in hope DAB+ will save it, but the deciding factor may be the economy, not DAB's merits (or otherwise).

ad47uk

Don't start that mantra about being lied to again! :) Most folks buying DAB now were kids or unborn when the 'lieing' happened! Most if not all know exactly what it can or cannot do and buy having made informed choices. Take a look in your local branches of Comet, Dixons et al and tell me how many radios sold don't do DAB. My 19 year old listens to it all the time (1xtra) and I think she is lucky because when I was her age, in order to listen to my chosen music styles on radio I had to wait for a 2 hour weekly slot on local radio. She gets it 24/7. We all know it could be better, and live in hope DAB+ will save it, but the deciding factor may be the economy, not DAB's merits (or otherwise).

But we was lied to. A 19 year old these days no nothing about audio quality, well most of them don't anyway. You only have to see them on the street listening to some rubbish coming out of the tiny speaker on their mobile phone. I bet most 19 year olds and other teenagers listen to the music on MP3 players, never heard good quality sound in their life. They will no doubt think that DAB is great quality even if the sound came out of a tin can.

There are exceptions, I know a teenager who is learning to be a sound engineer, so he needs to know about good sound. he does have the viw of why bother sometimes when the rubbish that kids to listen to is so compressed most of the time that any feeling the music have, is gone.

Dab+ will not happen in this country, no one got the money to put into it and Ch4 dropping out of DAb and other digital radio have proved that point.

TBH, I only know a couple of people that have DAB and none of them uses it now, just the FM radio part. I got to get a new clock radio, but it will not be DAB.

Cable Monkey

We have the money. When DVB-T fell on its ass, the licence payer picked up the tab. If private investment fails in DAB, public money will be spent on the chosen replacement, be that DAB+ or something else. Or they might just stick with DAB. It is there, it is 80% working and only a small percentage of anal retentives (us!) care enough to complain. :rolleyes: We absolutely have to get our voice heard so if we do end up paying it is something we want and can use...

arthurdentpc

Shame the CH4 stations aren't going to happen now, it was just what DAB needed.

Here in NI, we get under 20 DAB stations, because RTE are using the frequencies needed to expand. So it's a very poor choice over here. Having said that, the quality is actually quite good. I don't regret getting my DAB at all, it's on most nights.

anthony.rowell

Standard Member
I also had bought a DAB radio just for one station (£130 ) and it finnished so the only person to use my DAB now is my house cleaner, the Jazz station that finnished was what i really liked if it was pop it would still be going but that how it go,s when the young people get old it will happen to them ! my jazz was pop 70 years ago !

Sonic67

Banned
But we was lied to. A 19 year old these days no nothing about audio quality, well most of them don't anyway. You only have to see them on the street listening to some rubbish coming out of the tiny speaker on their mobile phone. I bet most 19 year olds and other teenagers listen to the music on MP3 players, never heard good quality sound in their life. They will no doubt think that DAB is great quality even if the sound came out of a tin can.
Don't judge things on what teenagers do. By that thinking in a few years we are all going to be swigging diamond white cider or something. Once people get older they have more money and purchasing habits change.

Dab+ will not happen in this country, no one got the money to put into it and Ch4 dropping out of DAb and other digital radio have proved that point.
A lot of radios are either made overseas or are made here and used overseas. If a firm is making thousands of radios DAB+ support may be built in as it's cheaper to make one radio that works anywhere. So we will end up with lots of radios that support DAB+ anyway. After that it won't be much harder to kick the signal out of a transmitter. Pure digital already does some that are DAB+ capable and I expect all future models will be.

Mr_Orange

I also had bought a DAB radio just for one station (£130 ) and it finnished so the only person to use my DAB now is my house cleaner, the Jazz station that finnished was what i really liked if it was pop it would still be going but that how it go,s when the young people get old it will happen to them ! my jazz was pop 70 years ago !

If you mean JazzFM, then it's back :)

ad47uk

We have the money. When DVB-T fell on its ass, the licence payer picked up the tab. If private investment fails in DAB, public money will be spent on the chosen replacement, be that DAB+ or something else. Or they might just stick with DAB. It is there, it is 80% working and only a small percentage of anal retentives (us!) care enough to complain. :rolleyes: We absolutely have to get our voice heard so if we do end up paying it is something we want and can use...

Once again it will be the tax or licence payers that pick up the bill, if it ever happens.

Well I think the total amount of people listening to digital radio is about 18% and about 11% of this is DAB not very good. Considering how many people jumped to digital T.v. mind you that is rubbish as well.

I think DAB will stay unless someone have got the money to throw at DAB+, but I don;t think anyone have, unless we found it, which I would not be happy about

TBH, I don't care what they do with digital radio, as long as they leave FM as it is, we going to lose one decent analogue service with a rubbish digital one, so let not lose another.

ad47uk

Don't judge things on what teenagers do. By that thinking in a few years we are all going to be swigging diamond white cider or something. Once people get older they have more money and purchasing habits change.
But they won't know any difference. I bet they would not be able to listen to a record and be able to appreciate the warm sound of it, but then with the music most of the teenagers listen to, they would not notice any difference if it came from a tin can.
A lot of radios are either made overseas or are made here and used overseas. If a firm is making thousands of radios DAB+ support may be built in as it's cheaper to make one radio that works anywhere. So we will end up with lots of radios that support DAB+ anyway. After that it won't be much harder to kick the signal out of a transmitter. Pure digital already does some that are DAB+ capable and I expect all future models will be

nothing to do if the radios have got DAB+ built in or not, it have to be supported and to be supported, someone with money have to start broadcasting with the system and who one earth is going to take the risk now? Unless we the tax payers once again pay out for it.

Even then we will get the same old problem as we do with DAB and DVB in this country and that is everything will be squeezed into a tiny space, so any improvement in sound will be lost. People seems to want quantity not quality these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom