• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Changing to Sky+ abroad?

tyler07

Standard Member
My parents live abroad and want to switch to Sky+, is this possible? How would they have to go about it?

They pay for the full package on the standard Sky digital at the moment and my dad could run the extra cable. Would they need to go through Sky for a new card / subs change etc or would buying a second hand Sky+ box work?

Any help appreciated.

Infiltraitor

They should buy a used Sky+ box plus a replacement LNB (twin or quad), run the new cable in and set it all up then give Sky a call to let them know they now have the equipment for Sky+. You can use the existing Sky digibox to check the signal strength from both feeds you're using before plugging the Sky+ box in.

There are currently quite a few Sky+ boxes on eBay with the take-up of HD, though older boxes might benefit from a replacement HDD (a very simple job - see here for info).

If they're subscribing to a suitable package there will be no extra monthly charge and the system changes should go through pretty quickly.

Obviously they shouldn't plug the phone line in (else Sky could find out they're abroad).

shadows

i have sky plus and live in italy i bought a used box of ebay bought a quad lnb and ran a second cable to the box(all dead easy) rang sky and it was on in 5 mins i use my mother address in the uk but to be honest as long as there taking money out your bank they dont care

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom