• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Changing the speaker Orientation, quickly?

rgrebby

Standard Member
Right now I have a Bose 5.1 setup attached the bose box then to a dts amp which goes to my PC.

My computer screen is at the south end of my studio. I also have a projector at that end that points at the north end of the studio.

So here is the problem. I currently have the 5.1 setup to work with the projector screen. If I want to switch to the correct speaker position for the computer I have to swap everything around. Its pretty easy with changing over the phono leads but I'd prefer something proper that does the job.

I will also add another center speaker so I have 5.1 on the computer as well instead of 4.1

So does such a switching device work or will I have to take a trip to maplin and build it myself?

Or is there a PC program out there that will do the thing?

canfabulous

Established Member
Assuming this is Windows, then your sound card may have an option to switch the L/R channels... which solves your problem. Can we have a few more specifics about the Bose system and your computer and peripherals used (i.e. make & model numbers). I suspect that if your sound cart doesn't support this, then you might be able to get an external USB audio device that might.

rgrebby

Standard Member
OS - Windows 7 64bit
Sound Card - Soundblaster X-Fi
Amp - Onkyo 5.1 DTS amp
Bose - 5 bose cubes and the big bose thing that they all connect to and then back out to the amp. I forget its correct name. It basically looks like a big sub

Switching the L and R channels wouldnt sort it as wouldnt it just swap left and right and not front and rear?

Wilseus

Established Member
I'm sure that it's theoretically possible to do this on the PC, whether however the Soundblaster drivers support it is another matter. It would almost definitely be possible to do this on Linux because it would be a relatively simple matter for someone to mod the open source drivers, but I guess that doesn't help you!

rgrebby

Standard Member
I thought that a software option would be around but im just having trouble finding it, im sure im not putting the right thing into google.

The only other idea i have is to build something with parts from maplin.

Wilseus

Established Member
That looks like the sort of thing that might do the job you want, but again, you might have to modify the code, or ask the author nicely to do it for you :)

canfabulous

Established Member
I think you need to change Left/Right and Front/Rear orientations... given you are facing in an opposite direction so front left is now what was rear right... if you get what I mean.. :)

Funny you have the X-Fi, I'm pretty sure the drivers must have an option to handle this - but struggling to find it via google.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom