Changing the plug on my amp - SUX950

mss9162

Standard Member
hi, iv got a technics su x950, which i use for my cd players tuners etc. My question is, iv got a pair of mordaunt shorts ms10s which i want to use as my primary speakers. They use banana plugs, but my amp only takes speaker wire. Obviously i could chop the end of the banana plug but, most audiophiles have said it is more convenient and also will give better conductivity by using a banana plug. the plug on my amp, is a twist on sort of plug. You put the speaker wire in the middle, then twist the plug 90 degrees clockwise. My question is, how can, if i can put a banana plug cable in them, or is speaker wire my only option? Another reason i would like to use banana plugs is so i can bi wire them with some wharfdales i wish to buy soon. Thanks in advance
Regards

larkone

Bare wire will give as good a connection or better than your banana plugs so there is no issue cutting the bananas off, just make sure there are no stray strands to cause shorts. Bi-wiring on its own is a complete waste of money, bi-wiring for bi-amping can be worthwhile. Bi-wiring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mss9162

Standard Member
Ok cheers man, much appreciated. So bi wiring doesn't really make a huge difference? So if and when I receive my 10.1s,(there are 4 which are used for bi wiring) which of the 2 plugs do I use? Sorry if this is a really nooby question. Thanks in advance

larkone

Doesn't matter, just choose a pair. It is worth dumping the metal links and replacing them with a piece of the same speaker wire though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom