1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the Head unit on a Skoda Octavia

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Dishmeister, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Dishmeister

Dishmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is possible to upgrade the head unit only in an Octavia and still be able to use the CD changer in the boot? What connection does the original unit have? I want to avoid buying a new head unit and CD changer and then wire them both in.

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't quite answer your question, but the CD changer is the same in our Audi A3 as that in our Octavia.

I'm only guessing therefore that the CD changer connection is fairly standard fair as the head units in the Audi/Octavia are very different and would guess that you wouldn't need a new changer.

However, that's still just a guess I'm afraid...

3. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My best suggestion would be to give someone like Sextons or Toad a call and ask them, they're the experts and would be able to give you an answer in probably minutes.

That said, although I can't remember which oem is used for Skoda/Audi, I think they use blaupunkt or something like that so would expect that you can control the Autochanger with a compatible hu.

Collin

4. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you want to find out if possible who makes the cd changer, and look for a head unit that is compatible.

A lot of newer decent quality head units can control most changers with an appropriate adapter. (Try alpine for instance)

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    VAG use a mixture of Blaupunkt and Bose sourced head-units coupled with Panasonic CD-Changers via a Cuustom Cable. I have heard of adding a normal Panasonic CD-Changer via an adaptor to an OEM head-unit but not the other way round. You could try www.edworthys.co.uk ... they're fairly knowlegeable folk.

6. csayers

csayers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is alot of info on this kind of thing at www.caraudiodirect.co.uk click the advice link at the top of the page.