Changing the CPU, after failure

swills

Standard Member
Hi all
I have a desktop PC (unbranded) that I have a problem with, it is a P4 with an Intel 2.8 CPU, this rtecently failed, plus I did it no good when I took it out and bent a few pins!:oops:
I have bought a new CPU again Intel P4 478 socket, but 1 1.7 rather than a 2.8, plus a new heatsink and fan.
But it does not work, fan spins nicely and the CPU dropped into the socket all OK, but the PC just whirrs away and nothing happens, with 'no signal' on the monitor and no click click from the HDD anyone any ideas where I'm going wrong please ??:lease:

earlybath

Novice Member
You'll need to get into your motherboard's bios settings to tell it what clock speed your processor is running at. Unfortunately this is very dependant upon the motherboard you have.

swills

Standard Member
Thnaks for the reply, problem is if the PC will not not start I cannot get into the BIOS to change anything ! (?) at least i don't think I can ?
Think it is an ABIT(1BIT?) IC-7 about 2 maybe 3 years old

earlybath

Novice Member
According to the manual (I assume it's the top one in the list here you get to the bios settings by pressing DEL when you switch on. But if you're not getting anything on the screen at all, then that might be tricky.

EDIT: Read the troubleshooting bit at the end. It refers to clearing the CMOS, which involves, powering off, moving a jumper, moving it back and powering up again. That might get you past the problem with the machine remaining idle. Then if that works you'll be able to get into the bios to set up your cpu timings.

swills

Standard Member
Thanks again! yes looks like the top one 'G' tried the CMOS clearance, but to no avail, still zippo on the screen, oh dear

Gow87

Novice Member
how did you diagnose a faulty CPU? most CPU's never Die (very rare) more than likely the motherboard died?

Just a possibility

swills

Standard Member
how did you diagnose a faulty CPU? most CPU's never Die (very rare) more than likely the motherboard died?

Just a possibility

Thinking over, I don't think the CPU died as such, more 'killed by me' ! The fan was faulty, so took that out, could not find a new one the same size as the old, so took the old heatsink out, this as you know is 'glued' to the cpu, but some pins bent when removed, which I then broke whilst trying to straighten, hence naff cpu
The handbook says supports 400/533/800MHz, I am amssuming now the one that came out is 800MHz, and the new one is 533MHz, is this the bit that is causing problems?

This is what I can glean from the CPU's, first the one I have just bought:::

INTEL P4 CPU Pentium 4 1.7Ghz Socket 478 SL5TK , Warranty

P4 1.7/256(?) / 400

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Just make out what is written on the old one:

P4 2.8/512/800

assume it's either the 400/800 or the 256/512 giving me the hassle?

thnx again for all the replies :)

goodtimes

yep breaking pins off will kill it alright:(

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
This is what I can glean from the CPU's, first the one I have just bought:::

INTEL P4 CPU Pentium 4 1.7Ghz Socket 478 SL5TK , Warranty

P4 1.7/256(?) / 400

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Just make out what is written on the old one:

P4 2.8/512/800

assume it's either the 400/800 or the 256/512 giving me the hassle?
The 512 and 256 is the cache, I think it's more likely that the 800Mhz to 400Mhz FSB is causing trouble.

Clearing the CMOS should have allowed it to accept any CPU that it supports though. Either that's not worked properly (try it again?) or the new CPU is also dead.

swills

Standard Member
The 512 and 256 is the cache, I think it's more likely that the 800Mhz to 400Mhz FSB is causing trouble.

Clearing the CMOS should have allowed it to accept any CPU that it supports though. Either that's not worked properly (try it again?) or the new CPU is also dead.

I gave the PC to someone at work to have a gander, he too 'cleared' the CMOS, and tried various options, none worked, I have been offered a 'free' celeron 2g cpu, so I'll give that a try!
that's what you get when you buy an item from ebay, it don't work!

eaglemmoomin

Novice Member
I gave the PC to someone at work to have a gander, he too 'cleared' the CMOS, and tried various options, none worked, I have been offered a 'free' celeron 2g cpu, so I'll give that a try!
that's what you get when you buy an item from ebay, it don't work!
To be fair mate, it does sound like you've bull in a china shopped it......

swills

Standard Member
To be fair mate, it does sound like you've bull in a china shopped it......

Thanks for all the replies and help, all up and running again, it was the P4 1.7 it did not work with my motherboard, someone gave me a 2.6 CELERON all works fine now!:clap:

thnx again all:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom