Changing subwoofer to either M&K MX-150THX ULTRA Subwoofer or MX-350 which one?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stewart C, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to upgrade my subwoofer and have two on my list the MX-150 MKII THX Ultra Subwoofer and the newer more powerful MX-350 MKII THX Ultra subwoofer.

I know Stuart Robinson has not heard better than an MX-350 MKII but at £2100 for a subwoofer YIKES.

What I am thinking is whether or not in a relatively small room, would I hear any discernable difference comparing the two. The MX-150 has only 150watts instead of the 350 watts ? The 150 is alot cheaper than the 350. Both have 2 12" woofers in much the same configuration.

Newer subwoofers appear to be loading up with huge amplifiers nowaday, i.e. REL Q400E, ofcourse 400watts. At 150 watts is this regarded nowadays as a bit...how shall I say weedy by comparison ?

I think the only difference I would notice would be a significant drop in low end distortion on the MX-350. What do you think ?

Wonder if a dealer would let me borrow two to try it.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,218
    Hi

Have you seen the Velodyne subs available in the Power Buys Forum?? The HGS series are supposed to outperform the M&K subs.

Certainly worth a look anyway.:)

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    i was in a similar dilema recently, between the mx150 or 350. i had settled on going for the 350 when i heard the monitor audio fastbass 212. it has two 12" drivers driven by a 360W amplifer. this just blew me away! (not literally of course!) it was better than the mx150 but maybe not quite as good as the mx350, but at £1400 i was convinced enough to but it. the only problem is i have a m&k speaker package and it doesn't match now, oh well i shall have to wait and get an mx5000 as soon as i can re mortgage the house!:eek:

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewart,
    I've just posted some info in the power-buy section. For distortion levels far lower than any M&K sub. Power levels far higher than any M&K (1250 watts) and bass that is subterranean, take a look at the Velodydne HGS range
    Eric

5. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys and noted.