1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing region on pc-help please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by barrykil, Mar 8, 2005.

1. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Been backing up some treasured movies using shrink +nero but the pc is set to region 1 and says i can change the region 4 more times,could anyone point me in the direction of a program which would enable me to back up differant region discs.Is this a simple thing to do?thanks for any advice

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've never tried ripping directly using DVD Shrink, I always rip using DVD Decrypter then use Shrink, however AFAIK Shrink can rip any region so I don't think the region code in the drive matters, but can't swear to it. Certainly if you use DVD Decrypter to rip to the hard disk then it'll remove region coding and all the other cr@p like PUOs. Like Shrink, it's free.

To make the drive region free you may be able to flash with some hacked firmware, which may also remove the rip-lock, there's also a freebie called DVD43 (there's also a far poorer value 'shareware' one of the same name), but IMHO the best method is to use something like AnyDVD or DVD Region Free, both commercial tools.

3. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    couldn`t get shrink to rip a disc that was a different region setting to my pc so downloaded decrypter and it works a treat, just seems to take twice as long as a disc that matches the setting of the pc but i can live with that, thanks :smashin:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the info about Shrink, to be honest I'd been using it for a long time before I discovered it could actually rip at all.

Decrypter does take longer to initially crack the key if the drive is a different region from the DVD but I didn't think it took longer once they crack was done, OTOH I mostly rip off a drive which I've flashed with a region-free and rip-lock removal hack so it's some time since I ripped off an RPC2 drive.

Glad at least you're able to rip.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
  6. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: