Changing Order of Buffalo Link Theater Folders

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by panaman, Feb 11, 2009.

1. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

I have a Buffalo Link Theater which I am successfully streaming files wirelessly from my Vista PC using Windows Media Player as the media server.

Is there any way of changing the order in which files and folders show within the Buffalo interface?

For example, to view videos which are in my Buffalo folder on my PC I have to go to the media server>Video>Folders, but the majority of the options are at the bottom of a long list..... folders for example is about 8 down.

Also, although all the videos play on my PC, some of them refuse to on the buffalo, even after re-encoding...... also the rewind/fast forward are very poor and very slow.

I have tried Buffalo knowledge base, but don't seem to have much luck.

Is there another FREE media server I could use instead of Windows Media Player, maybe that would be better?

Hope to hear some suggestions, thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The linktheater will work with many of the web-based media servers, you are not limited to the Buffalo software.

To order the files / folders I add "1 - " to the front of the items I want at the top etc.

"SwissCenter" is a free web-server type interface you could use. I tried it but ended up ditching it and making my own as I thought it was too complex for my needs. It try's too hard to please everybody with multiple definable page views and searching etc etc. I just wanted a simple interface which presented the files to me as I have laid them out in the file structure.

I ended up with a web-server on my LinkStation to serve the files using a simple web-site. The web-site harvests the links from the hard-drive using PERL and presents the pages of links to the LinkTheater. A few web-pages and a few PERL scripts and I got all the functionality I wanted.

If you are confident at making web-pages / running a web-server / writing PERL scripts then I am more than happy to share what I have to give you a starter for 10. You will probably have to modify it to suit your needs though.

HTH
    Simon

3. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Thanks for the tips.

The order of things in the folder I have on my pc is not so much the problem, its the order the Buffalo organise things. I thought I may be able to log into it like a router and change thigs around, but I can't seem to do that.

With regard to the server side of it, I am not at all confident in perl etc, but thank you for your kind offer. Someone recommended using VLC Player as a media server, but again I couldn't work out what to do :confused:

Think I will have to stick with Windows Media Player.

Any ideas why some of my files wont play?? They show up, but are greyed out.

4. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, No idea why some files won't play. I've never had that on mine but then I allways use VOB.

Take a look at SwissCentre is is not that hard to setup and does seem to work quite well.

Simon

5. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks, I tried SwissCentre, but after setting everything up as I thought best, I couldn't get my LinkTheater to find the server, plus it made my PC grind to a halt.

That was a web browser based server, do you know of any program based ones? Even though I have a few oddities using Windows Media player, it is at least VERY simple to set up and links up very easily.

I know when I phoned Buffalo help when I first got the LinkTheater and had problems getting their software to work, they told me it wasn't Vista compatible, but I could use media player or use another program, but I can't remember what that was :confused:

6. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have just tried "TVersity Media Server" which seemed very good with nice file structure, but again it couldn't play some of my files :thumbsdow