• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Changing Network - Coverage Query

Elrond

Prominent Member
I'm currently with O2 but have considered changing to Orange due to tariff prices.

Not wanting to chance it I brought a £5 PAYG Orange Sim today as my 3G is unlocked. I didn't get any signal in the house or in the back garden. I went out the front and got 3 bars and then once back inside it went down to 1.

The iPhone 4 is supposed to have better reception as we know but would it improve the 1 bar signal inside that I only got when I went outside to make the swap worth it?

All of that even though their website says the coverage should be very good!

Dazo

Established Member
This is just my opinion you really don't need to worry about 3g coverage while at home. As long as you get a signal for your phonecalls and you have wifi you will never use your mobile data while at home anyway. More important that you get a good signal while at your place of work, out and about etc.

Elrond

Prominent Member
Have you tried turning 3G off when the Orange sim is in the phone?
Just tried it. Went out the front to get signal then turned it off. Back inside to type this and now not getting any signal.

This is just my opinion you really don't need to worry about 3g coverage while at home. As long as you get a signal for your phonecalls and you have wifi you will never use your mobile data while at home anyway. More important that you get a good signal while at your place of work, out and about etc.
I'm not worried about 3G at home, basically because I have never had it for the past 18 months and it's never going to beat 8Meg broadband :)

With O2 I current get 600mins for £35 but don't really want a 24 month contract or half the minutes to stay at £35. Otherwise it's simplicity and a rather large upfront payment!

I think for where I live Orange is a no go as a someone else I know drives through here and doesn't have signal for long stretches unless if anyone knows if the new design of the antenna will give that much of an improvement?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom