Changing my Sonos setup.. just bought a set of Dali Oberon 5's help needed.

dans2394

Novice Member
Hi all,

I am brand new here, I have joined looking for some advice, I have lurked in these forums in the past but only just signed up to ask a question.

My living room is about 15ft x 8ft, I have a TV mounted on the wall with the following setup for sound...

Sonos beam
2x Sonos ones on stands either side of the sofa opposite the TV.

Now this is where it gets a bit complicated, I bought a Rega Planar 1 last year, I haven't used it! I moved into my place and never had the budget to buy the bits to go with it until now...

So I was browsing and managed to get a pair of brand new Dali Oberon 5's for a good price... I was planning to pair these with my record player and a Rega Brio amplifier for a nice Hifi setup... until tonight, trying to watch some TV with the Mrs and the Sonos setup is being a right pain, I cant get the rears to stay connected to the sound bar... ive got the hump and now im thinking about getting rid of the Sonos beam, putting the two sonos ones in a couple of other rooms around the house and making a home cinema setup using the oberon 5's...

In short I want a setup which I can use for both listening to vinyl and being able to switch over and use the same setup for TV movies etc..

I am on a budget here so nothing to wild, I am happy to buy used equipment also.

Hope that makes sense,

Dan

dans2394

Novice Member
currently my thought are with this receiver...

This would support all my TV inputs, would support my turn table...

dans2394

Novice Member
+

&

dans2394

Novice Member
So I don't think the room is big enough to warrant a 5.1 system... and it would be a right pain getting the cables to the other side of the room. Looking at a 3.1 system with the bits mentioned above.

Am I right in thinking when watching TV I would have 3.1 system and when using the turntable I would only be using the two Oberon 5's?

If anyone has any advice or can correct anything I've said above then please do. I am just going off what I have read mostly!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which TV?

Which external Source devices?

Do you use the TV Tuner or Apps?

Does the TT offer Line out or just ‘Phono out’?

Joe

dans2394

Novice Member
Hi there,

I have an LG C9 55"

We tend to use Netflix, Amazon Prime + Sky q, I have the latest 1tb sky q box if that makes a difference.

Also Rega Planar 1+ turntable

Also stream via spotify/YouTube music occasionally.

TT is phono out only I believe

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
+

&

If you go with new system don´t buy the Dali sub as there is no need to buy "matching" one. For a very long time members have gone with BKE woofers when budget is tighter. You get better bang for buck and of course supporting local UK based company.

Models here with specs and dimensions. When you click example XLS200 and XXLS400 models it shows two pictures each side, FF (Front Firing) and DF (DownFiring). Click on both them to see how the dimensions differ etc.

You can get both models cheaper from BKE`s grade-b site here if you happen to find suiting finish, these will go fast and there comes new ones almost daily:

dans2394

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply, I have had a change of heart and done a bit of a uturn.

Wont be going for an AV Receiver + 3.1 system, instead I have decided to go for a pair of speakers (Dali Oberon 5's) with a stereo receiver (probably Marantz 6007 or Cambridge Audi AXR100)... may add a sub at a later point.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom