1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing my Sky Receiver

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by garyward, May 18, 2004.

1. garyward

garyward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am changing my Pace receiver (intermittent fault) with a 2nd hand Sony receiver which I am told is quite good. What process do I need to go through to get my existing Sky card to work with the Sony VTX-S760U receiver instead? Any guidance appreciated. The Pace unit and my subscription are ages old!

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Phone Sky CS.They will need details of the 'new' box. Services, 4, can't remember the rest.

3. dsk19s

dsk19s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u need to phone cust serv they will need system details (services option 4 the option 5 and it will be the version number and the serial number)

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Sky will talk you through the (simple) procedure.

Don't pay too much for the Sony though - they're pants.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who told you it was quite good? The seller?

They are pretty to look at but the PQ is lousy. They do have optical out but not DD5.1 enabled. Can anyone really hear the difference between twin phonos and the optical anyway?

You'd be better getting a Panasonic or, if you really need the optical out, get Sky+ and flog the disk and use it as a normal receiver. At least you'll get RGB AND S-Video as well as DD5.1 when broadcast along with a fast EPG and an excellent picture!

Just my opinion!

Dave

6. garyward

garyward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - Its just that I have a Sony and get reasonable reception(far better than the Pace). As I am in the very South of Spain - close to Gibraltar- it is difficult to obtain reliable info (dealers here just want to sell the box with the best PROFIT margin) as to what receiver receives best. Signal quality is an issue so I am looking for a powerful receiver. I know I could get a bigger dish, maybe a better LNB but the Sony receiver does work quite well at the moment. Any pointers on receivers that handle weaker signals would be helpful.

Thanks.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ironically the older Panasonic had the best tuner. The model is TUDSB30. It's still got a fast epg despite it's age and it gives a good picture. I've heard that the latest Grundigs have good tuners too with the advantage of s-video ouput.

Dave