Changing my Desktop - Backup question

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm dumb with this stuff so go gentle on me.

We are looking to change our old Desktop PC but will want to save files, photo's etc to some sort of backup ready to transfer it to the new jobbie.
I see some memory sticks have 64GB memory now and are dirt cheap.
Would these be suitable. I've got around 45GB of Pictures.

ALSO
I've got Music files, Documents etc as well but these add up to very little. Yet the system says my total usage is about 128GB (560 free out of 688 C/Drive)
Is there something I haven't thought of? or is it just to do with operating systems etc

Last edited:
That would be fine, but going forward I’d make sure you are keeping regular backups of all your data if you are only currently storing it on your PC.

If it goes pop, then that is everything gone.

That would be fine, but going forward I’d make sure you are keeping regular backups of all your data if you are only currently storing it on your PC.

If it goes pop, then that is everything gone.
Thanks, I'll check out proper external HDs for a more permanent solution.

A backup is a second copy of data so that if one of the drives holding it fails (the main or the backup) you've still got the data. Moving your data from a hard drive to a memory stick for transferring isn't backup.

In terms of space usage you don't say which OS your current PC is or what it's got installed. 70GB for some versions of windows and programs is certainly perfectly plausible though.

Check your ISP out, they may offer a backup service, as part of a package. Personally I use Office 365, worth it as we have few users on the same account. That at least it is 1TB each and the full Office package for each PC. Costs £79 for 5 users or £59 for one personal user. All saved upon the cloud automatically.
can even put one drive app on Android phones and tablets to access files.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom