Question Changing my AV Receiver

SDMDAM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have a slim Marantz NR 1605 but it has developed some issues relating to internet connection and also it is now constantly switching itself off. Also, I recently bought a LG OLED and this amp does not support the latest 4K requirements so it is time to change.

I need a slimline so looking again at another Marantz. If I was to get one with Atmos capability will this work fine with a non-Atmos speaker set up, I have a 5.1 setup. For example, Netflix through the TV broadcasts Atmos sound as does Sky Q, will I get 5.1 sound ok?

I am looking either the NR 1508 or the NR 1608.

Thanks for the input.

Any and all Atmos enabled receivers will function with a standard 5.1 speaker configuration, but you do need at least a 5.1.2 configuration if actually wanting to access and play Atmos soundtracks. You'd not be able to play Atmos sountracks using a 5.1 setup.

So the TV seems to default to Atmos output, does this mean on a 5.1 system that part of the soundtrack or dialogue will be missing?

So the TV seems to default to Atmos output, does this mean on a 5.1 system that part of the soundtrack or dialogue will be missing?

Your TV wouldn't default to Atmos. Atmos is metadata conveyed within packaged TrueHD or Dolby Digital + encoded audio. Without the additional speakers, the Atmos metadata is ignored by your receiver and you only get the TrueHD or the DD+ encoded aspect of the stream. All Netflix audio is DD+ and the Atmos content is simply DD+ with the inclusion of Atmos metadata.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom