Changing mobile phone

victim311

Novice Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help, please?
I am a total dummy when it comes to mobile phones so I need some very basic advice.
I currently have a Nokia 2.1 which has become very slow and unresponsive.
I've done some research and it seems that the Motorola G8 might be a decent replacement within my budget range.
I really only use my mobile for phone calls, texts, WhatsApp and taking the odd photo. I do not use it for watching films or gaming or surfing the net. So I do not need an all-singing, all-dancing, expensive smartphone.
My Nokia has a nano SIM and a dedicated SD slot. The G8 has a slot that is shared by the SIM and micro SD. Is it just a simple case of taking out the SIM and SD card from the Nokia and inserting them in the new phone and then all my contacts and photos will appear on the new phone? Also, I assume that my monthly call plan and phone number will just transfer to the new phone with the SIM card?
Thanks in advance.

You're 90% correct in what you say.
Media such as photos though may have been stored on the internal memory of the phone and not the SD card. In any case Google photos should have them as well.
Just move the sim card and sd card over and sign in using your Google credentials and see if you've got everything you were expecting. If not fire up your old phone and copy what's missing to Google.

Before I take the plunge I have one more question.
I am a member of several WhatsApp groups. How will this work with a change of phone? Will I have to download the app onto my new phone and then ask the admin person for each group to reinstate me into the groups?

Before I take the plunge I have one more question.
I am a member of several WhatsApp groups. How will this work with a change of phone? Will I have to download the app onto my new phone and then ask the admin person for each group to reinstate me into the groups?
No... WhatsApp is bound to a number. All data is pulled down remotely. No need to request anything.
Just install app.

Thanks for that.
So, if I understand you correctly I put my SIM card in the new phone, download the WhatsApp app and all my groups and other info will automatically appear?
One further question, if you could indulge me.
I've been looking on my phone and there is an option within WhatsApp to back up the data to Google Drive. I've made sure that this is turned on. However, when I go into Google Drive on my laptop under 'manage apps' the option for WhatsApp is greyed out and can't be accessed. Do you know anything about this? Am I doing something wrong?

Correct. Put SIM in, power on phone, sign in using your Google credentials. All the apps you had on your old phone will be restored onto your new assuming you haven't disabled backup.
The Google drive WhatsApp backup I believe is encrypted and can only be read by the Whatsapp application using your credentials.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom