Changing Listening Habits

andycc72

I've had decent entry level Hifi for nigh on 30 years but have only really took a serious interest in the hobby in the last year and have now upgraded the system to a point where I'm happy with it.

My first love music wise is and will always be Soul and House music in all their various genres/sub genres. Prior to getting the new system these two genres would account for approx 80% of my listening time with Jazz, Blues. reggae and Rock taking up the remaining 20%.

Since getting the new system Jazz has rocketed in the popularity stakes, and I now play as much Jazz as I do Soul & House. Jazz just sounds so much better played through a good system. I'm really enjoying discovering Jazz I haven't heard before (which is a huge amount). It's driving the wife mad though as she detests jazz :)

Getting the Special 40's has definitely improved my enjoyment of music. I had the LS50's previously and I loved them but I found myself listening to the system more, always analysing the sound. The S40's don't have the same effect, I can forget them and listen to the music. I know that is a massive Hifi cliché, but it's definitely my experience.

Did anyone else's listening habits change once they got into Hifi more seriously?

Last edited:

Call me Candy

My listening tastes have changed little since my school days - many moons ago-
mainly rock & metal.
Since I have gotten better speakers, amps etc I have become more involved, immersed with the music. It's a real joy to hear records, tracks you thought you have known so well & hear things you had not heard before.
I always check into the ' What are you listening to' thread on this forum & have been rewarded with artists that I had not heard before. Often genres I would not be bothered about.
When it comes to jazz influences @Julian Stevens seems to have an encyclopedia like knowledge on the subject.

andycc72

My listening tastes have changed little since my school days - many moons ago-
mainly rock & metal.
Since I have gotten better speakers, amps etc I have become more involved, immersed with the music. It's a real joy to hear records, tracks you thought you have known so well & hear things you had not heard before.
I always check into the ' What are you listening to' thread on this forum & have been rewarded with artists that I had not heard before. Often genres I would not be bothered about.
When it comes to jazz influences @Julian Stevens seems to have an encyclopedia like knowledge on the subject.
My taste too has remained pretty much the same, I've loved dance music since I was 15, am now 50 and I still love it, you're never to old for quality House music :)

My dad played Jazz, Soul and Blues, plus all the usual 60;s Bands. Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, etc when I was growing-up so I always liked Jazz it's just that it's a totally different experience on a good system, hence why I'm more into it now than I've ever been.

Another thing is that jazz is very neighbour friendly compared to House and my neighbours are annoyingly noise sensitive. They're not keen on bass ......

The only change is that I have started to listening to some Dire Straights; a band I always used to take the piss out of my Dad for liking. I fear my youthful snobbery was misplaced, they're actually quite good :)

Last edited:

Call me Candy

Very good band😄

Call me Candy

Ha! ha! 😄
..... & a bit of Barry White every now & again!!!

gibbsy

I started to drift away from playing music after I gave my Technics separates away and went down the one box solution for both surround sound and music. What a mistake that was. My love of music resurfaced when I bought a Rega Elicit-R and separated the music side from the surround sound. Started buying discs again.

Perhaps the biggest thing was having to buy quality headphones and standalone headphone amp. That was five years ago when my wife suffered a serious heart attack and now she gets tired and goes to bed early. Too early for me so late night listening or watching is done with headphones.

Although I prefer listening on the speaker system headphones do give you what's on the disc, warts and all and I would say 80% of my listening is done with them. Well worth the investment.

Khazul

Up until about 10 years I only had ever an HT connected to the TV and my pro-audio studio sound systems and live sound system which were basically used for production and dj set work and it was only after I stopped that (tinnitus) that I started listening to much other than house/trance/soul etc.

I kind of dabbled around with jazz more because I love a good piano and well it was a good source of inspiration at times.

Other than that at the time I mostly detested guitar bands, mainstream pop etc as I just found it all too samey (OK, I know people say the same about EDM :/). About 5 years ago the old HT system blew up (literally - loud pop, smoke billowing out etc) so that needed urgent replacement as I consider not having surround sound on the TV to be a cruel and unusual punishment. It was really about time now that I was no longer producing/djing etc to domesticate the sound systems and get something a bit more civilized and living room room friendly etc.

In the time that followed, my tastes have definitely changed especially after I got my amp. Its not because it sounded better (my near field studio system reveals pretty much everything, but that was its point), it was more than for the first time in a very long time I was actually sitting down a relaxing on the sofa listening to music for the hell of it rather than working on it.

So I found myself listening to all sorts with about the only common threads being it was well written and well produced music, maybe had a good beat/groove to it etc. So these days I find myself listening to some the soulful end of jazz, a few guitar bands, quite a lot of acoustic, the more musically talented and decently produced mainstream pop and even the odd bit of classical. In turn this has found its way back into heavily influencing what I write (not that I do much these days).

Also when I got Roon I found it strongly encouraged me to take more of an interest in music and the connection between artists, producers etc, so that is itself has been quite a voyage of discovery and rediscovery.

So yes - having a good sound system that is both enjoyable to listen to and can reveal the subtle detail in what you are hearing and a relaxing environment you in which to listen I think really opens of another level of music enjoyment. Maybe also that it isn't a job anymore probably helps too :)

musicphil

Finally got a proper listening room a few years ago for near field listening and changed components for the new room. Finally now have a balanced in sync system that sounds fantastic, whilst writing this I am currently listening to John Lee hooker "the healer" album on my Linn and it's a very well recorded album, in a very good listening room played on a very well balanced system.
It's taken years (40) to get to this stage, over the last 12 months I have found myself listening to more alot jazz, more acoustic music and more blues. I now listen approx 6 hours a day when not working, no fatigue ever creeps in. It just puts a smile on my face and my foot tapping never stops.
It's taken alot of time and money to get to this point in my hunt for musical Nirvana, but it's been well worth it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom