Changing hard disk in DRX180

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by minilh, Oct 20, 2005.

1. minilh

minilh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the hard disk is failing miserably in our DRX180, we're going to change it, has anyone used the following, we're not bothered about the size as we already have SKy+180, this is for multiroom:-

Samsung SpinPoint P80 80GB IDE ATA/133 2MB 7200RPM

And this may sound silly, but what happens when you swap disks? When it switches back on, I presume the software downloads via the sky connection and viewing card ie it makes no difference to what we receive.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That drive should be OK, but there's never any guarantees. The Sky+ box may well recognise the disk change, and do the "housekeeping" (formatting of the new drive and initialising) by itself, but if it does not, you will need to go into the installer's menu, which is reached by pressing :

Services, 4, 0, 1, Select in quick succession on the remote control.

3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345

surely that also constitutes theft nick! :nono:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :clap: :devil:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Since when was doing your own repairs theft ? You seem to have a very strange set of moral principles :suicide:

5. minilh

minilh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick.

6. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    but surely if he puts an 80gb into a standard box (40gb) its theft as u put it in the thread "cancelling sky+" as hes getting something extra that others are having to pay for????

please see read nicks moral highground section and serious telling off :rotfl: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253240&page=3&pp=15

just seems strange u were on maral high ground when people asked about having a way to use pvr or watch recorded progs while having no sat signal, and called many people theifs for trying to "steal £10 off sky"
    so what amount would you class an extra 40gb of storage that if you wanted more storage sky would want to charge you for the 160gb box. therefor in your own words on previous posts is theft :suicide:

(DISCLAIMER)
    by no means am i against upgrading or "self fixing with a bigger hdd" but am mearly bored at work and reading faaaaar to much into peoples convos :D

:D

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, you're doing more than that, you are being a total fool. There is a big difference between repairing a broken box by replacing a part, and fiddling around with connections to make it work without paying a subscription, which is what you were talking about doing.

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    yes but that was purly me asking how do they monitor it. as 1 i have no chance of leaving sky and 2 money honestly aint that tight in my home.
    but i was wondering how it works, and then you accuse everyone that was also curious of theft. by getting more by paying less than others
    and then on here the "repair" mentions an 80gb hdd rather than the standard 40gb hdd which u could consider getting more by paying less than others?

anyway i love you and i know you love me. it cant be done and now i know how it works and why and im happy with that now kiss me and makeup