Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

changing front speakers in BMW 3 - please help

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by dmjohnson123, Mar 6, 2005.

1. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just got a 320d tourer (on an 05 plate). I'm very, very happy with the car as whole, but, the speakers seem inadequate when turned up.

I want to keep the Business CD Unit which is installed but was hoping to do a quick and relatively cheap upgrade to the front speakers.

My question is, can I change the front door speakers without removing the whole door panel ?

I've had a look here, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showpart...47665&prod=20040800&btnr=65_0465&hg=65&fg= 20 and and it looks at first glance as though I should be able to get the speaker out without the door panel having to come off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I get my flat bladed screwdriver out and damage something :confused:

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    The drawing seems to indicate that the fixing securing the speaker is possibily coming from the door internal outwards. Can you prise off the grill to inspect the mounting method ?

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,862
    I don't think you'll see much improvement by changing the speakers as the line-fit ones are pretty reasonable. The placement of the rears by BMW leaves a lot to be desired but there's not much you can do about that.

The weak link is the crappy head unit.

4. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Someone else has suggested the same on another forum crocodile.

Is there a replacement head unit you guys recommend for around £150 to drive the standard BMW speakers ?

I assume I'll need an adapter panel to fill the hole left by the removal of the BMW head unit leaving a gap fit for a standard CD/Radio unit. Also a wiring converter. I'm kind of with all of that as I've changed head units in other cars.
    Is there anything else I need to be aware of ?

How do I get the BMW header unit out - any hidden screws etc ?

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,862
    Have a look at this thread for the parts. You may be able to offset the cost of a new head unit by selling the BMW to the O.P. if he hasn't sourced one already.

The trim around the head unit simply pushes into the dash on "pegs". You first need to half remove the trim above the glovebox by gently levering it from the RHS. A plastic spatula or similar is least likely to scratch anything. Once clear, you can prise the trim from around the head unit. The head unit is held in place by a large Phillips screw or two.

Not really up on what's current but £150 should buy you a reasonable MP3 capable CD-tuner. If retaining the steering wheel controls is important that may determine which manufacturer integrates best. Having said that, you will get more functionalilty from a remote control. Sony to do a nice little joystick that controls just about every function.

Another thing to consider is whether you are likely to want to add a DAB tuner in the future. If you do, you're pretty much limited to Pioneer.

Off topic, but my other top tip would be to start saving now for your Inspection 2.... :laugh: