Changing from Sky Digital to freeview?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by The Spaniard, Jun 11, 2004.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Guys,

I am looking to change to freeview from SkyDigital and want to know whether I need to buy a freeview receiver or can carry on receiving freeview channels through my Sky Digibox - it is mine! Are there any benefits from buying a new box? I know the Pace twin has the capacity to record but are there any other benefits in a new box? Better sound or pictures? Is it worth getting a wideband aerial or is my sky dish up to the job?

I also want to connect up to Tv's in my kitchen and bedroom.

Any help and advice on the best kit gratefully received!! :clap:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,079
    The channels carried differ somewhat. ITV channels via satellite, are encrypted and you need a smart card to get them. This isn't the case on terrestrial freeview. I'm not sure what the current situation is, but there have been problems in obtaining a smart card for Free TV only.

However, recent press announcements indicate that Sky are intending to hugely expand their free offering. So you may want to retain your Sky box for that purpose.

The data compression via Sky is greater usually than terrestrial freeview; many have reported greater pixellation and other artefacts with sky than terrestrial.

Assuming you are in a good terrestrial reception area, freeview boxes can be bought for around GBP50. You may decide to get such a box and use it alongside or instead of your Sky box.

As for recordings - yes, there are freeview boxes (like the Pace Twin) with hard disk; in many respects this works like Sky+.

IMPORTANT: You can't use a Sky box to receive terrestrial freeview (in other words, you can't just plug a sky box into an aerial and hope it works - it won't); nor vice versa. The two are different things. If you want to use a sky box for free TV, then you will have to watch what comes off the satellite, not off an aerial. If you want to use an aerial for terrestrial freeview, you will need a new box.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Even if you cancel SKY you retain the hardware (it is yours) and the smartcard which should continue to allow viewing of the FTV channels (ITV1, CH4 and Five), the FTA channels will not be affected by the use or lack of a smartcard.
    However there are channels on Freeview that are subscription only on SKY so it still may be wortwhile to get a DTT box if those channels are of interest to you.
    You may also need to consider if it's worth buying a DTT box which can access the TUTV subscription service, future proof yourself:)

4. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Guys,

The wife likes ITV2and BBC3 - reruns of Corrie & Eastenders, etc and I could also do with a free music channel that comes in handy when any kids are round. I presume this means that I need a freeview box and a new aerial then? (My postcode return indicates a wideband aerial would be required).

Does a freeview card come with the freeview box?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    At this point ITV2 is still a subscription channel on Dsat and there has been no word of that changing even though ITV's contracts with SKY are up for renewel. I wonder if SKY are not offering this £150 deal because it helps to smooth any issues they are having with ITV.

The postcode checker is not 100% reliable:)
    I found that I could receive all the Freeview channels using a wideband indoor aerial but it just wasn't very sightly or convienent having one indoors. I eventually had a new rooftop aerial and while it wasn't cheap taken over the expected lifetime of the terrestrial system is was money well spent.

Freeview channels do not require any sort of smartcard, most Freeview boxes do not have a cardslot anyway:)

6. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, you mentioned that a freeview box (I am getting a Pace Twin) and satellite receiver can be used side by side. Unlike you, I am a novice and would appreciate advice on how to connect this kit together with a Panasonic Plasma, Panasonic analogue tuner, Panasonic dvd with surround sound, and (finally) a Panasonic E55 dvd recorder. Sorry to be a pain.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,079
    CD3660: I'm not really familiar enough with your list of gear to offer anything coherent.

However, it is highly likely, given the number of "sources" you have, that you are going to need some sort of switching box. So then it goes something like

<<everything into the switching box>> and <<switching box to TV>>

Sorry I can't be more specific.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If it is of any use the Pace Twin can pass RGB

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    you have 3 scarts, 2 RGB and 1 s-video, and 1 component vid input, you have sufficient video inputs, your problem is likely to be insufficient audio inputs. You have 2 digital sources, and 2 analogue. Your Panasonic all in one system might cope, or it might not. Lots of ways round this, I could fill the page but the wife will complain, tell me to get an interest!! Feel free to PM me and I'll talk it through on the phone for you if you like. Personally I'd be looking to ditch the panasonic tuner, you'll get some money for it on fleabay, better picture without. Then put the money to a decent surround system, ditch the all in one in the same way, and you'll have a super setup.

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,365
    gary

I bought a netgem freeview receiver for my conservatory tv this weekend from Makro in Wednesfield for £49 + vat.The picture quality is better than my Sky digibox for the rest of the house.I have the freeview box linked up to an indoor ariel in the conservatory so don't buy a new ariel till you have tried your existing ariel.Mines tuned into Sutton Coldfield which would be the same as yours as you live in Bloxwich.

11. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your advice guys. Maw, I may take you up on your kind offer.