• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Changing from pc to Mac - program alternatives?

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
After this thread *http://www.avforums.com/forums/computer-systems/1273862-computer-suggestions.html and looking around the web, I'm now thinking of making the transition from pc to Mac and treating myself to a new Mac mini.
However, never having had a Mac before, just wondering if those in the know, know if there are any good/easy/free alternatives to these programs I use on the pc?
Convertxtodvd
DVD decrypter
DVD shrink
Imgburn
Also, any ideas where the best/cheapest place to buy one from and the wireless mouse and keyboard? I'm studying an nvq type course but with a learndirect centre. Any idea if the education discount from apple would apply?
Any help would be most appreciated, thanks. *

tinners

Prominent Member
you can probably google most of these but
mactheripper
handbrake will rip dvds to most formats and with vlc installed it decrypts on the fly

you can also run dvd decrypter / dvd shrink in parallels or bootcamp.

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
you can probably google most of these but
mactheripper
handbrake will rip dvds to most formats and with vlc installed it decrypts on the fly

you can also run dvd decrypter / dvd shrink in parallels or bootcamp.

Thanks very much, that's part of the problem sorted. Would I have to buy a copy of windows to run this boot camp or parallels thing?

Shoka

Prominent Member
Thanks very much, that's part of the problem sorted. Would I have to buy a copy of windows to run this boot camp or parallels thing?

You would, yes.

Another couple of suggestions for you:

DVD Decrypter - RipIt - think it's $25, MacTheRipper is great, but I've had endless problems with it under Snow Leopard, the only feature RipIt does not support that Decrypter and MacTheRipper do is a "Feature only Extracion" however you can quite easily do this in Hadbrake.

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
You would, yes.

Another couple of suggestions for you:

DVD Decrypter - RipIt - think it's $25, MacTheRipper is great, but I've had endless problems with it under Snow Leopard, the only feature RipIt does not support that Decrypter and MacTheRipper do is a "Feature only Extracion" however you can quite easily do this in Hadbrake.

That's great thanks. I'm trying to avoid buying any software if I can help it when it's going to cost me a fortune to begin with!
Anybody know of anything that let's you burn avi's as a DVD like convertxtodvd does?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
That's great thanks. I'm trying to avoid buying any software if I can help it when it's going to cost me a fortune to begin with!
Anybody know of anything that let's you burn avi's as a DVD like convertxtodvd does?

While not an answer to that, if you want free reliable alternative to parallels/VM Fusion (assuming you don't do bootcamp), I recommend VirtualBox from Oracle, it's dead simple to use, reliable and pretty good. I use it mainly to run LINUX virtual machines on my mac but did once use it for Win Xp :thumbsup:

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
While not an answer to that, if you want free reliable alternative to parallels/VM Fusion (assuming you don't do bootcamp), I recommend VirtualBox from Oracle, it's dead simple to use, reliable and pretty good. I use it mainly to run LINUX virtual machines on my mac but did once use it for Win Xp :thumbsup:

Thanks very much :)
It doesn't really mean much of anything to me at the moment but sure it'll make a bit more sense if i go ahead with the mac :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom