Changing from floorstander to bookshelf

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by clarky78, Apr 28, 2018.

1. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi, due to a move around I will be changing my Monitor Audio GX200 speakers for bookshelf speakers. I am considering KEF Q350 or maybe R300. I also like the Dali sound so maybe Sensor 3.

I will be pairing them with a Radius surround and centre speakers to start, eventually planning to get matching units for all.

Problem is, I heard the Q350 in a totally different place to the R300 and on totally different equipment. For me the Q350 sound great for the price. Would I be missing out not going to the R series? I found very few comparisons of these speakers but some people mentioned they preferred the Q. Also much cheaper to match up the rest of the Q range in the future.

Other considerations? How does the B&W 685S2 fit in this? One opinion I read was it was better than the R300. Speakers need to be white as well.

Another consideration is the speakers will be on the ends of an Ikea AV cabinet, maybe 2.5m apart but very much against the wall, maybe a 10cm away, will either speaker sound terrible in this position?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    I've got R300s on the end of a Skovby entertainment cabinet with the back of the speaker being 25cm away from the wall. They are half ported and sound really good driven in stereo from my Rega Elicit R. I have them sitting on Fisual isolation pads and there is no transfer of vibration to the cabinet. However and with deference to Ikea the Skovby weights close to 40kg empty so resonence is not a problem.

With placing any speaker you choose make sure they are sitting at least 30mm proud of the edge of the cabinet. As for the R300 versus the Q350 then build wise and component wise the R300 is still the clear winner.

3. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Proud of the edge? Does that mean overhanging? The cabinet is about 40cm deep I think, and around 6cm from the wall due to the amp wiring hanging out the back.

I certainly think one of the big reasons I'm still so wanting the R300 is it looks so much better than the Q350 cheap vinyl. But are you saying sound wise they are not a clear winner?

4. Apollo83

Apollo83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I recently auditioned the Q350 and was impressed. Pretty neutral frequency response (maybe slightly up in the mid and dropping off in the high treble). What impressed me was the astounding spatial resolution. As good as anything else I heard. My only problem with them (and this is a taste thing) is that they were lacking a little detail and energy - a little restrained.
    The Q350's looked great by the way - an an austere brutalist way - no sense of them being cheap when up close.

I also listened to the LS50 which had a similar sound but with improved mid and treble and less bass. Might suit a non-stereo environment with a subwoofer well.

I also listened to the B&W 685 S2 which I found to have great detail and energy but for me the mid was too pronounced and too forward (almost like they were trying to grab my attention! not subtle)

For the record, I ended up going with Monitor Audio Silver 100s which had the detail and energy of the 685S2 but with a neutral frequency response and the most amazing controlled bass I have ever heard on a standmount. If you were moving from floorstander with good bass to standmount and staying stereo then I'd highly recommend auditioning the Silver100s.

Good luck with the hunt - let us know how you get on.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    The fronts of any speaker on a shelf needs to be sitting at least 25mm over the edge of the shelf, this will stop any unwanted reflections of sound. As for the R300 they are certainly better than the Q350, they are much faster and have great detail in both mids and highs. Bass is far more controlled and tighter and given enough power they really come to life.

Although my 300s are far enough from the wall to allow for half porting, KEF supply a two part bung for the rear port, I have R100s as surrounds in a 5.1.2 that work perfectly well just 50cm from a wall.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  6. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,400
    25cm or 25mm?

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    :blush:Opps. Typo. Way past my bedtime.:)