1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing from an AV amp to Stereo Amp for Music

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Jimmysil, May 8, 2003.

1. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I originally had a Marantz SR4200 and Marantz CD4000 for music.
    Although the Marantz combi sounded very good for Music and the SR4200 great for films, I wanted a little more and also 6.1.

I considered just getting a better AV receiver to improve matters.
    A Denon 2802 or Pioneer 1011 for example.

I had never considered having a seperate stereo amp for music.:rolleyes:

But after a great advice and info from Wilber and Sounddog, I decided to go the stereo amp route for music.

I brought a Yamaha RXV 630 AV receiver for 6.1 from wilber (thanks again wilber).

And I got hold of a 2nd hand Arcam Alpha 7R amp and a Arcam Alpha 7 cd player for about £ 250 the pair.

I am happy to report, I am very pleased with my new setup.

Music sounds great on the Arcams, there is a more rich bass sound to my music than I had with the Marantz pair. But the detail is still there as well.:clap:

Also yammy is excellent for films, with the arcam driving the front speakers. Star Wars - AOTC blew my socks off.

So I would like to say thanks to Wilber and Sounddog for the great advice they have given me.

Oh and to Daneel for buying the CD4000 and *ABC for buying my much loved SR4200

Cheers

Jimmysil

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear you've caught the upgrade bug!

A mate upgraded from a Alpha 9/9P to another make pre-power setup. A huge improvement- but he's got pretty high quality source & speakers.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    jimmysil, you're making me blush.

Glad to hear it's all worked out

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    hmmmm.....sounds like a nice upgrade to my rx-v630. i gotta say, i love this amp.

5. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi James

If you listen to a lot of music, it would be a good upgrade to your 630.
    Although when I play music the CD player is connected directly to the arcam amp.
    But I do use the digital output on the cd player to connect to the yammy if I want to use prologic 2.
    Which I do very little as stereo sounds so good.

Regards

Jimmysil

6. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Jimmysil

I did more or less the same - less actually in that I stuck with my AV receiver the Yam RXV496RDS 5.1 only. But I got the Arcam Alpha 7 (not R) out of a local paper £65 boxed so I thought can't loose give it a try. I added the alpha 7SE CD player later and now I don't even bother playing CD's on the AV stuff anymore the difference is so great.

I was a sceptic at first as well with what HiFi banging on about it all the time, how you'll never get an AV set up doing music as well. Sounded like they'd got a hidden agenda to me. They might have, but it's still true. Or at least it is at the lower end.

I dabbled in DVD Audio recently as well only on a budget player 192/24 bit DACs non the less. Yuk not going there again, not even with a decent player, not with stereo sounding so good.

Crocodile JD:)

7. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Crocodile JD

Good to see that someone else is enjoying the pleasure that some bargain Arcam Alpha's can bring to your stereo listening.
    :clap:

I originally thought I could live without a stereo amp, but now I don't think I could.

Cheers

James

8. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's interesting to see that so many people seem to be adding stereo integrated amps to their AV amps for music, I actually did it all the other way round but I first got my hifi kit about 7 years ago when home cinema wasn't a particularly big thing and just last year I decided it was about time I jumped on the home cinema bandwagon to see what all the fuss was about. To say the least the home cinema experience blew my head off over the 2 channel stereo I had been used to hearing my films in but when I tried plugging my Marantz CD63SE into my Yamaha AX630SE I was horrified by the results, dramatic loss of detail, the dynamics were pretty bad and the outright power and rich detail of the bass was all but lost, hence I continue to use my Audiolab 8000LX for music, and connect the Yamaha through its preouts and use the Audiolab as a power amp for my main speakers for films. It certainly worth having a decent stereo amp around for listening to music.

9. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Jimmysil
    I have my system set up exactly like yours, except that my AV reciever is a Denon 2700 (a bit old now) and for music I have:
    Arcam 8 cd player
    Arcam 8R amp
    Arcam 8P power amp

I love my music too much to compromise the sound.

10. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Soundstyle

Good to hear that some one else is too enjoying the pleasures of the arcam kit.

By the way just out of interest, how much of a sound improvment is there having the power amp over having just the 8R on its own.

Cheers

Jimmysil

11. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The very same question that was on my lips. In fact I started a thread on that very issue a short time ago. How the hell do you attach a thread URL?

Crocodile JD

12. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've had the power amp from day one, so I couldn't tell you if it makes that much of a difference.

But I've read reviews on my set up and it's said that the sound is more fuller with the 8P connected, and the volume can be higher aswell without distortion; which makes sense really, because the 8R is not running both high and low frequencies.

It's worth getting a power amp in my opinion.

13. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I thought my Pioneer 2011 was pretty good in stereo too, until today, when I got an Arcam stereo amp which completely blows it out of the water. It's a bit unfair to the Pionner as the Arcam is a top of the range model, but even then I didn't expect the difference to be so huge.

14. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Another convert :)

15. Steve Willett

Steve Willett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering whether you people could clear something up for me.
    I too have been considering adding a seperate amp to my Denon AVC10SE for stereo duties.
    However everyone seems to stress the importance of three matching speakers across the front stage to avoid a tonal imbalance.

If you add a stereo amp via pre-outs to drive left and right and use your receiver to drive the centre (obviously when using for 5.1) are you not creating a similar tonal imbalance as the amplification is different for certain speakers ?

Apologies if i'm way off track here !!

Thanks in advance

Steve

16. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Steve Willett

personally I think the 3 fronts have different duties in that the centre is mostly dialog and the front L and R are often music and ambiance. Therefore I don't hold to the theory that they all need to match. How could they when so many use floor standers for L&R on large with the centre on small.
    It wouldn't worry me in the at all to do so, but I haven't integrated my stereo amp or floor standers into my A/V system. Not because of the possible imbalance but the far more important WAF:D Thats why I got the Kef eggs for the lounge;)

Crocodile JD