Changing CPU for Windows 11 compatible one

terencejames

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a relatively old Dell Latitude E6530 with an I5 processor. The windows 11 upgrade page tells me that the processor isn't compatible. Would it be possible to switch the processor out for a compatible one? I've done some googleing and I can't find definitive answer.

No, you cannot.
Laptop processors are usually soldered to the board, so changing them requires an SMD rework station.

You would need a newer motherboard to support a later generation processor.

It's definitely removable.
If that's the case, you could fit a faster device, but I doubt you could upgrade it to one that would run Windows 11. You would also require the TPM, which is normally hardware dependant.

If you run CPUz what CPU, motherboard and chipset is it reporting ?

MB.jpg

AFAIK Ivy Bridge is Gen3 and there is no chance its supporting Win11. There is also very little likely hood of getting a compatible motherboard.

Good news, Win10 support ends in 2025 so no need to do anything drastic yet.

Without having tried it myself yet (rainy day work), there is apparently a registry hack to avoid the CPU validation.
====================
In Windows, hit Start and type regedit, then hit enter to launch the Registry Editor. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup, either by pasting that whole address into the box just beneath “File, Edit, View, Favorites, Help” or by drilling down through the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and System and Setup and MoSetup folders one at a time.

In the right pane, right-click and pick New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the value “AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU” minus the quotes. Double-click on the new value you created, and enter 1 into the Value data field. Hit OK and close the registry editor.
====================
There are other prerequisites concerning secure boot which you may also have to address - BIOS settings (I gather).

And apparently you have to install from the Win11 .iso downloaded; not via any update tool.

I have now installed Win11 on a Dell laptop (2016 vintage/model; 6th gen i7) which is not officially supported. IMPORTANTLY none of this is destructive; all the files and folders and apps are still in place and seemingly working. Device Manager shows nothing broken or unknown or...etc. It already had the most recent Win10 (21H1) on it.

I'll write this up in more detail if/when I have more time, but in summary I had to do all of these:

First up, obtain Windows 11 installer and put the files onto a removable drive (SD card, USB stick, etc.) Here: Download Windows 11 (section: Create Windows 11 Installation Media). Put it to one side. Now to the machine itself:

1: Back it up. Take a full system image and ensure you have bootable external media (mine is a CD in fact) so it can be fully restored if necessary. I used Macrium Reflect Free for this.
2: Find out how to access the BIOS on reboot. (On my Dell it is repeated pressing of F2 on restart - but they are all different). Reboot and enter BIOS; check the BIOS allows for UEFI and Secure Boot - but DO NOT change it yet. Exit and start Windows.
3: Add the above (post 12) entry to the registry (regedit).
4: Check the partition type on the main disk drive; if it is MBR (Master Boot Record), it needs to be changed to GPT (GUID Partition Table). (Create and Format Hard Disk partitions / Right Click on the main drive > Properties > Volumes tab > Partition Style).
5: Change it if necessary: Reboot it to a command line thus: Settings > Update&Security > Advanced Startup > Restart Now > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt. Run the command mbr2gpt /validate first to confirm and then mbr2gpt /convert to convert. DO NOT attempt to do this from a command line prompt from within windows.
6: CARE: Exit and restart - but interrupt the restart to enter the BIOS. (It won't boot into Windows).
7: Change the BIOS settings to UEFI Boot and enable Secure Boot. Make careful notes of all the changes made (in case you need to revert). All BIOS differ so you will have to look for these settings.
8: Save & Exit BIOS and restart. The machine should now boot into Windows 10 as before.
9: Insert the Win11 installation media and run setup.exe. When you are presented with a warning about machine specs, "Accept" the risk and continue.

E&OE. Your mileage may vary. And note Microsoft's official warning:
Microsoft recommends against installing Windows 11 on a device that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements. If you choose to install Windows 11 on a device that does not meet these requirements, and you acknowledge and understand the risks,..........

Last edited:
Now also installed on a 2012 vintage HP laptop (i5, 2nd gen) and working. The only difference to the above was that the BIOS setting "secure boot" is greyed out so I guess it's not supported. And the initial test for mbr2gpt failed. A bit of research indicated that one cause for that is >3 partitions on the main disk so I removed two of the five that were there and it then passed the test. So it's up and running Win11, again with all the old content still intact.

Used it only briefly on both boxes - and I'm not a gamer (etc). Cosmetics aside - no discernible difference.

Process written up in more detail here

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom