Changing Career / Adult Apprenticeship

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shanew1705, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Shanew1705

Shanew1705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    Not really sure where to post this so thought I’d stick it in the General chat!

Thought I’d start a post to see if any people have changed careers, and in particular anyone that has experienced regarding adult apprenticeship’s?

It’s something I’m toying with myself, but being 28 years old not really quite sure how to go about it, where to start or what to do!

Any advice/experienced anyone can offer?

2. dmpzsn

dmpzsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    I've changed career many times, from being a skilled engineer the a semi skilled mechanic then a car parts man/manager then a forecourt manager and a coach driver, all this plus being a part time Policeman. Sometimes it pays to have variety.:) There have been other jobs in between, to numerous to mention.

But never tried an Adult apprenticeship.

3. MrSossidge

MrSossidge
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    I went from 16 years in advertising/marketing to working in a school, a charity, back to marketing and now I work in occupational therapy. No apprenticeship experience just transferable skills. There are jobs out there. Don't rule yourself out of anything and tailor your cv/job applications accordingly to suit criteria and competencies.

4. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,575
  5. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    I did just that at the age of 24 (plumbing) and again in my mid 30’s (gas).

Sorting out the college side is easy though expensive as there are plenty of trade4you courses etc that you can spread the cost over monthly payments. Tech college is a heck of a lot cheaper, but for those you require a placement which is very hard to find.

Don’t know about now, but there use to be no money for employers with adult apprenticeships so they are less keen to take one on. Only way I did it was by working for free for a good 6 months

6. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,970
    Hi Shane, is there anything you'd like to do? The technology company I work for offers apprenticeships. Point to note; there's no such thing as an 'Adult apprenticeship' anymore. Because age is one of the protected characteristics under discrimination law, this is not allowed to be used as a selector for which staff an employer would like to select. My employer has apprentices from 17 to 39 yrs old at the moment.

If you want more information, let me know and I'll PM you. Also, due to the time of year, our intake for 2018 has already been selected. I believe that the selection workshops/ recruitment starts in around April/ May time, although I'd have to double-check. I'm more than happy to help out, although as I don't know you personally, I can't refer you, just point you in the right direction. Hope that helps and good luck :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Shanew1705

Shanew1705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    Thanks for all the reply’s everyone

Id like to think I’ve got a good background and experience with my previous jobs. I’m looking to get into either Carpentry or Plumbing, I did my Level 1 Carpentry when I was at college 10 years ago, but never did the next level as I couldn’t get an apprenticeship back then with the state the economy was in. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and feel it’s now or never to look at getting into it