Changing car on insurance

Aristaeus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to a car dealership to check out a 2nd hand Golf. If I like it, I'd like to buy it and take it away that day.

How much advance notice (online) does the insurance company need of a car change before I can drive it away? Obviously I'm not going to update before I've seen the car.

Will the car dealership throw in a few day's insurance to get it home?

Not quite what you asked but I'd ring them up from the forecourt and tell them of your change of vehicle and it will be done instantly.

You’ll often get 48 hours cover but this is totally dependent on the dealership

If the old and new car are very different, it might be financially beneficial to cancel the current insurance and take out a new policy (shop around) for the new one.
You'll be due a partial refund (minus admin fee).
It might even be that the current policy won't accept the new car anyway.

It would help to know which insurance company?

You used to be able to get "driveaway" insurance from dealers. Essentially a 7 day freebie to encourage you to got for the full year. Call the dealer to find out.

If you have the reg of the new car I'd call your insurer and see if they can add it to the policy immediately if you buy it. Worth knowing what the cost of the insurance will be anyway.

I don't know if all dealers do it, but when I bought my nearly new Golf in August 2020, I was offered free insurance for 5 days to give me time to change my own insurance.

Last time I swapped my insurance covered me up to midnight on my old car and instantly on the new car.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom