1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing brake pads on l plate mondeo.

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by GalacticaActual, Aug 31, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Morning everyone.

Can any one tell me how easy, or difficult it is to change the front brake pads on an L plate 2L mondeo?

Never tried it before, but after 4 years of owning it the little warning light has come on saying its time to sort it out. Any help would be apreciatted.

Cheers.
    Dave. :)

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    no one? :)

3. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not too tricky, to be honest. But if you've not done it before, make sure you order new shims and split pins, and by a Haynes manual: it's a straight-forward job, but it's worth following a proper guide if you're unsure!

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

cheers mate :smashin: :smashin:

New shims and split pins? will it bump up the cost by alot of money?, how much is a haynes maual these days?

Dave.

5. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shims and split pins are only a few quid: ask for afitting kit. It might also be worth buying a tool for compressing the pistons in the caliper (will set you back about £20, but can be used again, obviously!). Don't forget to drain the excess fluid from the master cylinder: you can use a special pipette, or a bit of old sponge, but wash it off immediately if you get any on the bodywork (it's somewhat corrosive).

I think you can get a Haynes manual for about £15.

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It is not that hard to do but since the brakes are so critical it might be worth asking around for a friendly mechanic to show you how to do it. A lot of colleges deliver basic car maintenance courses which will give you the confidence to work safely on your car and save a lot of money.

7. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    dave-s get a big hammer, cos you will need it to get the disks off, with that in mind, a qualified hammer weilder might be better. fordmondeo.org for all your mondeo brake related questions though, alot of help there

8. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He won't need to get the disks off if he's just doing pads, they are a pain to get off when needs be on Mondeos though.

Many new pads come with some backing stuff that is meant do do the job of a shim now, even if not you can often reuse old shims so long as they're not too corroded. Maybe it's best to get some new ones though as you won't know if the old ones are ok til you've taken them out!

I would take a digi photo of the caliper before you take it apart, that way you can reference back to it to check it looks ok when you're done. You'll need to squeeze the piston back into the caliper to get it to fit over the new pads, you need a set of big grips for this - like a water pump wrench but bigger.

If you're not confident, a garage shouldn't charge more than £40 inc the new pads as it's an easy job up on a ramp. Why not get them to do it and let you watch so you'll know next time?

Good luck :)

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thnaks for the help guys. Just to let you know that its all done now :smashin: