1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing AV32R Front Panel

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by AMCross, Jul 11, 2004.

1. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Anyone looked at how easy it would be to change the front panel of an AV32R from black to silver(Or even better anyone had a replacement price from TAG/IAG)

Thanks Adrian

2. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adrian,
    I seem to remember the price was around £150 IF it was part of the AV32SP >> AV32DP upgrade as the machine was being opened up anyway.

I would, however, expect it to be more for a 'one off' as a new front panel is required (plus buttons etc) with the old one having no value.

I don't think it's a difficult job for IAG, but it is one that take a bit of time and will require parts so I don't think it'll be cheap!

Helpdesk certainly used to have a price.... give them a try in the morning to see what the damage would be!!

3. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Thanks PhilB1234 thats great i will give them a ring tomorrow if they would supply the part i think i could fit it quite easily (well it looks easy)

4. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To do it properly you need a custom made alignment tool to align the volume encoder up with the chassis. If not done the volume contol rubs on the chassis. You have to be a bit careful on taking the volume knob off as some are quite tricky to remove (bizarely it's normaly the grey ones on the black chassis...). The encoders are not that strong so it's quite easy to damage them.

5. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was quoted a few years ago more than 800 euros to change my T32 from black to silver… :suicide:

6. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy the right colour in the first place? :devil:

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd stick with Black in any case much more stylish and far harder wearing.....

BTW, the volume knob (or tuning knob on the T32R) is (as Steve says) not a job for the "have a go hero" types, it is cleverly put on so no grub screws are used but as Steve says needs to be removed with a bit of care, easy with the right gear, ends in tears without it. I have a theory why the black units are more difficult (now he tells me), they use slightly larger tolerance rings to lock the knob on as the finsih is less easy to damage whilst lining it up....?

8. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The front panels come complete with the display and buttons and I believe are put together by a third party. (DO NOT quote me here). I have a 32R and wanted to change the panel to the latest but was advised that it would be too expensive.

This post was NOT written by TEN, but someone using his PC

9. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, whilst I cannot comment on the pricing, I like to remind that a front panel change involves more than just a differently painted front panel:

A silver [black] product uses, beside the differently coloured [anodised] front fascia, a differently painted lid, differently painted buttons and a differently painted [anodised] volume knob. There is significant disassembly/assembly time required to change these things with, as Steve pointed out, significant risk to the volume encoder:lesson: .

Modifications are always more expensive than building something from scratch.