Question Changing Aspect Ratios During Movies

MartinGibraltar

Novice Member
I have noticed that a number of movies seem to change aspect ratio during the film. For example, Dark Knight starts out 16:9 and then reverts to 2.35:1 and Mission Impossible Fallout is 2.35:1 for most of the movies except for a few scenes where for some bizarre reason it switches to 16:9 for a few minutes. This is really annoying if you are watching the film on a cinemascope screen as when it switches to 16:9 you get the image projected onto the area above ad below the screen.

I have a JVC DLA-NX7 projector with a Stewart Cine-W 130" screen. Does anyone know whether adding a Panamorph Paladin DCR anamorphic lens would resolve this issue? If not, how best is it addressed? Keep changing the zoom setting during the film is not really viable as it takes 30 seconds or so to adjust and would completely disrupt the flow of the movie. In MI: Fallout, it switches back and forward in the same helicopter action scene which is ridiculous.

Regards

Martin

Wull

Sure is pain. Here is a thread that may help?

It seems using the JVC masking feature could be the way to go.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
A lumagen can solve this for you

mb3195

Distinguished Member
How does the lumagen help?

it has an auto aspect feature or you can manually overscan the picture to CinemaScope with a click of a button.

MartinGibraltar

Novice Member
Sure is pain. Here is a thread that may help?

It seems using the JVC masking feature could be the way to go.
Thanks for this advice. For the picture mode that I had set for widescreen films, I set the masking to 130 top and bottom and this works like a dream on the JVC. There is no impact for most of the movie which is shot in 2.35:1 but when the action briefly switches to IMAX for 20 or 30 seconds, instead of seeing the image overshooting the screen top and bottom, it still fits perfectly on the screen.

I think this is the same way that commercial cinemas handle any sudden switch to IMAX during a film. No action is missed because it is only peripheral parts of the shot that are blacked out.

Thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom