Changing a relatively old system - advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by t-force, Aug 30, 2007.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Hi guys,

Please forgive the duplicate posting in two forums - I figure that some people check the amp forum more than the DVD one and vice-versa.

I'm going to be moving house soon, and I'm going to take the opportunity to refresh my system, as I haven't done so for a while.

Currently, I have Toshiba SD-900e DVD player, a TAG AV32r (5.1 only, no analogue bypass), 100x5R and T32R processor, power and tuner combo, M&K K series speakers, an SVS 20-39 sub, and a Panasonic 32PD30 TV.

I'm going to go for a flat panel display (probably a 42" plasma), and I'd like to delve into the world of EQ, as I can notice even in my current place that my room is having far more of an effect than I would like, but from here I'm not sure where to go.

My budget is not going to be huge, so I'm going to have to think fairly carefully about what I go for. Ideally I'd love to have an Audyssey equaliser, but that's way out of my price range (not to mention the fact that another 6 cables would be a distinct pain in the backside!), so I'm going to have to consider selling my TAG stuff. Music is a key consideration, and it would be nice to get a disc spinner that could cope with SACD & DVD-A. Have things come on a long way in the last few years, or am I going to notice a major drop in audio quality if I went for a Denon or Onkyo receiver? (The Onkyo 875 & 905 especially have caught my eye). As far as DVD players go, I was considering either the Denon 2930 or 3930, but now there are lots of people talking excitedly about the Oppo spinners. Would I see particular benefit in going for a Denon if I was going to let the Onkyo amp upscale my DVDs? Would a Denon - Denon pairing offer me anything extra?

My speakers and sub I plan on leaving as they are, for the time being, but any advice on source and processing/amplification is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Anyone?

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I think you will notice a drop in audio quality moving from the Tag stuff... likewise the dvd player isn't exactly shoddy...

I would consider something like the Naim DVD5 if you want something that can grow with you but is also excellent at audio and video.. there's an ex demo one at my local store, but at £1895 it's still not cheap! However i reckon if you're happy with your amps etc but want to boost your music and video options then it's a good option.

Back to your other questions, there are benefits via iLink etc that would make a Denon - Denon system a sound option.

If music is as significant as you say and would like to retain good quality, you may be better off considering Arcam/Meridian/Primare/Naim rather than Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha etc.... Arcam probably bridges the gap best at your budget but i'd personally rather look at Primare/Naim... but that does involve a big budget!

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks for that Scott.

It seems that a lot of people are waiting to see what everyone else does in response to the new Onkyo machines (particularly at the price they've come in at). Might it possibly be an idea to see what people like Arcam or NAD come up with, as I really don't think I'm going to have the budget for Primare or Naim, whilst getting the features I want.