Changing a light fitting

jt2k6

Morning All,
Done a search, and couldn't find an answer in here, and the greater WWW is being no help either!!!!

seena few similar posts in here, so hope I'm in the right place, if not please deal with as you see fit :)
Anyway...

As the title suggestes I am replacing a light fitting in the under stairs cupboard (from now on to be known as my home office / man cave)
I have changed 6 light fittings in the last 2 months and had zero issues
Just this one is causing pain

In the old pendant I have a very standard feed/switch combo exactly as seen below,

1647426760025.png

I am replacing with an Ikea Tross fitting

1647427770679.png

As I am also relocating I have taken a short length of flat grey twin and earth (same as used in circuit) and done the following
*used connector to join the 2 loop wires and used a piece of heat shrink to cover
*used connector to join 2 earths and joined them to the earth on the extension piece
*connected neutral to neutral on extension piece
*connected brown sheathed neutral to live on extension piece.
* then taken extension piece and wired into the new fitting

I get nothing!!!

wire back as god originally intended and light is working fine.

I used exactly the same method on all the other light fittings and worked fine, just this one being a PITA

To check fitting was working I used a length of T&E to plug into mains, and lights worked perfectly!

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Have you tried connecting your old pendent to the end of the new extension wire or just trying the new fitting all the time?

Thoughts being if this is the case the issue could be the new fitting.

jt2k6

Have you tried connecting your old pendent to the end of the new extension wire or just trying the new fitting all the time?

Thoughts being if this is the case the issue could be the new fitting.
old pendant on new extension does not work.
makes me think its my wiring somehow!

new fitting was plugged directly into a power socket and worked fine

John7

Check your connections in the joined loop wires - you may have clamped down on the insulation rather than the wire. Also check the other connections for the same issue...

jt2k6

Check your connections in the joined loop wires - you may have clamped down on the insulation rather than the wire. Also check the other connections for the same issue...
I unscrewed all connections, straithened out the wires and re joined everything, and all works now!
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom