Changes to PWD8

iamnotbanksy

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently own a Panny PWD8 with two component cards. Due to a renovation we are now going to mount this on a wall and i am now thinking about cable routes etc.

Coupled with this is an upgrade of amp to the onkyo 605 which will upscale and switch my components to HDMI.

My question is this, would i be better to just buy a HDMI board for my Panny and just install the one cable letting the amp do the switching etc. Or stick with the component boards and feed the two (thick) cables to the display?

Is the DVI board better than the HDMI board? Reading the specs it seems to be? Are bothe HDCP compliant?

I know my screen isnt HD etc, but i am happy with the picture at the moment and dont really want to change the display!!

Also, can anyone reccomend a good (cheap) wall mount bracket?

Thanks

Have you thought about getting a HD Fury? You can then feed a 1080p signal via your VGA for fabulous results :clap:

for a wall mount why not look for the orignal panny one, try the wanted section
either some one will have one or will point out a place to get one.

i think only the hdmi card will do hdcp, but as suggested the orginal HDfury dongle will let you feed a 1080p signal thru vga, which the pwd8 will do good job of downscaling to native res. both hdmi boards and hdfury go for around £70

not seen the HD fury? Does anyone else use this with the PWD8?

Initially i thought HDMI board, but the DVI board seems better on paper? Am i missing somthing? which would you use?

Thanks

DVI is apparently better, bit more versatile.

But when i have been looking it does cost more.

If i used a DVI board and a hdmi to dvi adapter would the cable show from the bottom of the screen when it was wall mounted?

Coupled with this is an upgrade of amp to the onkyo 605 which will upscale and switch my components to HDMI.

My question is this, would i be better to just buy a HDMI board for my Panny and just install the one cable letting the amp do the switching etc. Or stick with the component boards and feed the two (thick) cables to the display?

Have you considered going with the Onkyo, laying the HDMI for future use and simply using one Component to VGA cable to the screen and let the Onkyo switch your component sources for you?

The Panny does a great job with HD via component which the VGA input will accept. There's legs in the panny as it is at the moment, why spend the money on HDMI boards and such when component will be just as good. Sure there's HDCP to consider...but that isn't a problem yet and by the time it does become a problem...you're likely to be ready for a new screen anyway (at which point that HDMI cable you laid will come into it's own).

Just food for thought.....

i am preety sure the phd8 panels and pwd8 panelse are same dimensions blades/boards are in exact location

dvi%20to%20hdmi.jpg

its a hdmi cable connected via dvi to hdmi adaptor its like 5mm from showing

Thanks for the photo and advice. I think i will be going down the HDMI card route for a couple of reasons. I know the DVI card has a slightly higher spec but i am not sure i will see the difference.

I would like to keep the VGA port free for my pc connection, so its either HDMI, DVI or Component. I would like the smallest cable for routing purposes and HDMI seems to for the bill.

you can buy a dvi to hdmi cable,then you wouldnt need the adaptor.

however i would also just go for the hdmi board!

Thats the route i am taking. i have an advert in the wanted section of the classifieds...but no takers :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom