changes to o2 the cloud

bransoj

Yeh...my brother got this text yesterday but as yet i've had nothing from them. The Cloud part of their wifi connection is being replaced with their own service which at the moment is mainly O2 stores and has a 100m range but they are looking to extend the number of hotspots.

chukwe

I haven't received any text as well. I've the Unlimited data tariff before June 2010 tariff changes

NornIron Legend

Im pretty sure this is because SKY has bought 'TheCloud'. Dont know this as fact yet but last time i heard they were pretty closer to buying it.

youngpip

Novice Member
I've already noticed I can't get on some hotspots that used to be okay (a lot of BTOpenZone ones).

bransoj

I've already noticed I can't get on some hotspots that used to be okay (a lot of BTOpenZone ones).
Need to be careful with BT Openzone ones as you cant use a lot of them anyway and also they arent included in this change. Its only The Cloud hotspots that are being taken out of the inclusive wifi deal.

With BT Openzone they cunningly name two different types of hotspot the same. They also allow their own broadband users to piggy back on other peoples BT broadband and these are also named BT Openzone but cant be used on the O2 wifi part of the contract. In general if a BT Openzone one shows with a BT FON option as well then its not one that can be used with an O2 contract.

neilybealy

yes the cloud is now owned by Sky hence why it's being withdrawn from O2. just another reason to move from o2 :)

bransoj

yes the cloud is now owned by Sky hence why it's being withdrawn from O2. just another reason to move from o2 :)
Do other networks give out The Cloud with their contracts? If they do are they just as likely to lose it if Sky are withdrawing it from O2?

In my opinion it was a nice to have but its hardly a deal breaker that its been lost. Other than the odd Wetherspoons here and there i didnt find that many to use.

dc8900

Distinguished Member

Makes me regret my decision to leave o2 for T-Mobile much less

Do other networks give out The Cloud with their contracts? If they do are they just as likely to lose it if Sky are withdrawing it from O2?

AFAIK, I think it was only available for o2 customers, as when I was on o2 until last month, friends on other networks didn't seem to have it

dc8900

Distinguished Member
p4ult said:
Anyone know how Sky are going to use it?

My money is on either this is the ground work for a Sky MVNO or they simply bundle The Cloud as part of their Sky rewards programme.

RobM

Distinguished Member

Bit short sighted, IMO. O2 will simply be the same as other networks who only offer BTOpenzone as their only WiFi provider, so you'll be no better off. Then with O2 WiFi, which is taking off quite nicely and expanding all the time, you'll be worse off having left.

Jeffa256

Novice Member
Beware the Murdochs! First phone hacking now Cloud hacking. Just imagine all those people with all their contacts stored on the cloud just Ripe for News International to get at them. Or as Palin would say YOU BETCHA!

RobM

Distinguished Member
Beware the Murdochs! First phone hacking now Cloud hacking. Just imagine all those people with all their contacts stored on the cloud just Ripe for News International to get at them. Or as Palin would say YOU BETCHA!

Wow, holy misunderstanding Batman! :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom