Changes to my setup, need advice

Ariston

Novice Member
Hello.

I am looking into making some changes to my setup.
Currently it is a 2.0 situation, but it could be upgraded to 3.1 - hopefully 5.1.
Used for music and movies. Vinyl records and Spotify, Netflix and 4K Blu-ray.

Gear:
LG OLED55B7V
Klipsch RP-280f
Pioneer VSX-933
Cerwin Vega A0.8 kw2
Audioquest Indigo+ cables
(Turntable and 4K blu-ray player)

What i want to change:
Receiver
Cables

Receiver:
I stumbled upon a free CV amplifier and got, naturally, a lot more power out of my Klipsch speakers.
The problem with my receiver looks to be it has no pre-out to front speakers. Changing volume by individual gain on the power amplifier is not a permanent option.
How would a Yamaha RX-V6A be as an upgrade?

Cables:
Using a pair of older Audioquest Indigo+ (not my purchase). They are a bit too thick and unwieldy for my liking. I want to change them out without sacrificing too much on the audio side. I also need to switch out a few cheap banana plugs and make it nicer.
I want bi-wiring, and was recommended Audioquest Rocket 33. But I feel like this might be more expensive than necessary?

Thanks for reading, and any help given!

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
In my experience bi wiring does nothing assuming the cable is of sufficient cross sectional area (2.5sq.mom / 13AWG will give you no perceivable drop in performance obpver approx. 15m) . The two speaker terminals are connected inside the amp to two amp modules (not 4) so it doesn’t make any difference if the speaker drivers are connected at the amp end or the speaker end. So 2.5sq.my OFC is all you need single wired, Van Damme blue or Kabeldirekt from Amazon will do the job.

Also bare wire connections are fine so long as there are no stray strands that could short between the red and black speaker terminals, banana plugs look nice and are convenient but add nothing to the sound.

Save you budget on cables and add it to the speakers, buy more CD’s/vinyl or enjoy a good meal out.

3rdignis

As you are.

Tv optical to topping e30 dac/preamp, to power amp to speakers.

Probably the biggest jump in audio quality you will see.

Set b7 to optical 2ch pcm.

Kapkirk

In my opinion the Yamaha would sound slightly better than the Pioneer AVR and also the Denon X2700h is worth considering but personally I would wait until the prices drop as Receivers are at an all time high at the mo and you maybe able to get a better model once the prices drop if you want a surround amp.
With Bi-wiring, sometimes it can help sometimes not, I have found that Bi-wiring does add a little to the bass attack and solidity but its only marginal over a good thick single cable.
The Audioquest indigo cable is good cable and I doubt you'll get much benefit from changing them to the Rocket 33. In the meantime save your pennies for a better Receiver. If you value sound quality for music over having surround sound then get a dedicated 2ch Amplifier which will sound way better, something like a Denon PMA 800ne or Audiolab 6000A will sound far better than any £1500 AVR amp.

Helix Hifi

More or less all AQ cables are difficult too bend around rack etc. Simply because they use solid core technology. Buy multi strand cables instead.
The Rocket cables are 14 avg cables, which is around 2,5 mm.

Any cheap cables we’ll sound the same. Still if you like the sound, feel that it is better, I won’t stop you from buying them. I advice you too read about the term AVG (gauge). It explains how speaker cables works. If you do the decide on buying the Rocket cables, at least borrow them first.

Depending if you need 3-4 meters it can cost the same as the Yamaha amplifier. Spend rather the extra money on more expensive Yamaha, Denon amplifiers instead.

Or buy new speakers.

Good luck 👍

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you intend to expand to 3.1, 5.1 or further I’d very strongly suggest an Anthem MRX.

They sound fantastic with films and music, and Arc Genesis is first class room correction.

One of these.

Easily surpasses the Yamaha and those in its class and considerably above.

Ariston

Novice Member
Thanks for all the replies!

Starting with cables then. It looks like I could go for something like this or this and be more than fine. I don't need much length for now. Price might be a bit higher still than something from Amazon, but its cheap for me compared to alternatives.
Not going to go all out for bi-wiring either then, maybe I can make some jumpers with this cable if I want to some day?
Banana plugs are not necessary I know, but its just to make it easier when trying different speakers and such.

To me it still looks like the Yamaha is the best choice.
The Denon X2700h doesn't have front pre-out which would defeat the point of changing my setup.
Anthem mentioned above doesn't support 4K and all that good stuff. Also a bit more difficult to get a hold of in my country. Maybe newer models have those features, but that's out of my budget.

I have a -10% coupon that expires September 4th I could use on the Yamaha. I doubt it will go on sale during that time, but I could wait a bit and see. Also selling the VSX-933 plus a HK 3390 would help.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Not sure where your information is from but the 710 does have all the 4K goodness.

Pass through and upscaling.
But upscaling is best done by a tv anyway.

if you can wait for a one to be available to Norway it will be worth it.

The Yamaha and Denon are merely average toys in comparison.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Have a quick read of this if you’re interested in serious quality stuff

Kapkirk

Anthem Receivers are excellent and definitely better than the Yamaha/Denon's but they are a bit on the expensive side, I think the op is considering spending a lot less and I believe that model Anthem is ex stock as is not currently available.
I switched to QED XT4Oi from Naim NAC cables and have experienced a slight improvement in clarity but at the cost of a little bass impact. The improvement was worth the outlay.

Helix Hifi

Anthem Receivers are excellent and definitely better than the Yamaha/Denon's but they are a bit on the expensive side, I think the op is considering spending a lot less and I believe that model Anthem is ex stock as is not currently available.
I switched to QED XT4Oi from Naim NAC cables and have experienced a slight improvement in clarity but at the cost of a little bass impact. The improvement was worth the outlay.
Yes, no experience with Anthem. I do believe Yamaha is the way to go. Usually great build quality, watts.

If OP is worried about cables then QED is not that expensive. I mean the less expensive.

Otherwise I’d just buy some sets of cheap 16, 14, 12 AVG cables and see if he hears any differences. If so it is because of the resistance of the cables, more current to speakers.

Helix Hifi

Must admit I have no experience with AV receivers, still Yamaha is great when it comes to ordinary stereo amplifiers-can’t image they sound worse in surround setup.

acgingersnaps

Double blind tests or it didn't happen.

If you already have suitable wires/cables, please don't waste your money on new ones, put it towards kit that makes a difference.

oscroft

Cables - Just about any AWG 14 pure copper cable will do the job (AWG 16 almost certainly too, but a bigger gauge means you just don't have to worry). Make sure it is pure copper, and not copper clad aluminium or anything else.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom