Change to LED or save for OLED?

Mindless30

Just toying with the idea of change as seeing a lot of offers about and i'm curious.

I currently use a Panasonic TX-37PX80BA plasma tv (720P image), she's old but still performs great. Apart from the TV tuner which have to re-set every other week it seems. But with blue ray playback even friends and family prefer it over their LEDs. I mostly use netlfix or prime lately.
I recently got handed down a Panasonic TX-42AS520B LED (1080P image) tv as that person replaced it with a new tv.
They have got a Phillips 43PUS7805, and it does look amazingly better improvement on SD and HD channels, only brief view of 4K and wasn't wowed but it was netflix if that makes a difference?

After trying the Panasonic TX-42 for a bit, I've gone back to watching the plasma. The colours, depth and image all seem more natural, even though the LED has more detail on SD and HD images, it just doens't have the punch of the plasma I find. Plus the motion can be off sometimes.
Now im stuck, as I miss the slightly bigger image and the detail and I know the plasma won't last forever...

So on to new tv deals I've noticed lately. No budget currently for a OLED, only around £600. But have noticed the Panasonic TX50HX800B for this price and it has excellent reviews or the the Phillips 58PUS7805 for a bit less cash and bit more screen.
But will either of these two better or match the old plasma with the newer tech? I know the SD image on the phillips is great, but I intend to watch HD and 4k stuff and also game on them too (PS3 and PS4 pro, not interested in PS5 yet)

Shall I brave a new LED out of those two or save up for on OLED? :-/

Dodgexander

Most of the quality gain in TVs purchased today comes with HDR, you aren't going to get a significant enough upgrade if you are mainly watching broadcast TV.

So general rule is to upgrade to a TV that is capable at displaying HDR properly, to take advantage of that. As per my guide I'd recommend no less than the Sony 49XH9505.

Beware of inherent differences between display technologies. A Plasma is not a sample and hold display like OLED/LCD TVs are so the motion will take some getting used too. Luckily the Sony has good motion for an LCD TV.

Of course changing to an OLED will be an even bigger improvement all round, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Bear in mind also that the smaller the TV you buy nowadays the worse specs you buy into, 55" and 65" is where the sweet spot is. It also comes hand-in-hand with UHD content itself, since you aren't going to see much, if any difference to 4k sources if you are viewing at an average distance from a small TV.

Mindless30

Most of the quality gain in TVs purchased today comes with HDR, you aren't going to get a significant enough upgrade if you are mainly watching broadcast TV.

So general rule is to upgrade to a TV that is capable at displaying HDR properly, to take advantage of that. As per my guide I'd recommend no less than the Sony 49XH9505.

Beware of inherent differences between display technologies. A Plasma is not a sample and hold display like OLED/LCD TVs are so the motion will take some getting used too. Luckily the Sony has good motion for an LCD TV.

Of course changing to an OLED will be an even bigger improvement all round, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Bear in mind also that the smaller the TV you buy nowadays the worse specs you buy into, 55" and 65" is where the sweet spot is. It also comes hand-in-hand with UHD content itself, since you aren't going to see much, if any difference to 4k sources if you are viewing at an average distance from a small TV.

Thank you for all the information! Currently going through it all and it's extremely helpful. Has answered a few queries and more as I go along. Thank you :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom