Question change to buy a new sub by BK, any good this one?

Waynester

It's really easy. Front left and right pre-outs from a receiver into the dedicated direct line in RCA on the amp. The front left and right speakers are then wired into the stereo amp. When using the stereo amp for film and TV you will have to select 'Direct' (that's on a Rega Elicit-R as an example). That's it. Volume is then controlled by the receiver. On initial set up all you have to do is EQ the stereo amp into the system.

There are some stereo amps out there that do make it a little bit harder to use but a Rega Elicit is simplicity itself. My Denon and Rega work very well together. Stereo music is much improved as all music sources are connected just to the stereo amp.

So the basic. For film and TV both receiver and stereo amp are fired up. The stereo amp uses the 'Direct' HT circuit. For music just the stereo amp is fired up and used in a normal way.

oh okay, but what do I set the stereo amp at volume wise when running Audyssey? I take it when the stereo amp is connected to my new AVR, hopefully the 3600 or 3700 can be calibrated alongside it?Or do you have to do it separately ?

looking forward to a better sound on my new gear and using the new X32 instead of my older type on the X2200W

gibbsy

but what do I set the stereo amp at volume wise when running Audyssey?
You don't. Audyssey will still output 75dB test tones via the stereo amp as it is in control of the volume via the HT by-pass. In HT by-pass the stereo amp has no control over the volume, that's all done by the pre-amp section of the Denon. As I said, it really is simple.

Conrad.

There's a few marantz units in the classified at the moment. Most would be a step up from your Denon?

Waynester

There's a few marantz units in the classified at the moment. Most would be a step up from your Denon?

Thanks I’ll look at them

how are Sony and Yamaha AVR’s?

any recommended ones?
heard good things about them..
Someat around £500 to £800 max
I’ll only be using
2 floorstanders
1 Centre speaker
2 Rear surrounds
2 atmos speakers on top of floorstanders
1 subwoofer

Waynester

Morning chaps!

My BK XXLS400 FF just arrived, 😁👍🏻
won’t use it until tonight because I want to calibrate it when it’s Quiet, which it isn’t at the moment outside my flat with lawnmowing all morning by the council 😂

I’ve twiddled the dials on the back of it to what I had my QA Sub set to, can you advise if this is correct? I won’t be using the Hi Gain cable, it’s just going straight into my Denon AVR with a sub cable...

I dragged my TV unit to the right, think the new sub placement is the best place it can be for me... now I’ve gotta move my sodding picture above the Telly!🤣

can’t wait to Audyssey the lot of it tonight 👍🏻

Also expecting a nice tidy refund from Thames Water next week because I’ve been paying someone else’s meter for 38 months!! Instead of £16, I’ve been paying £36 a month! Kerchinggggggggg £££££ to a new AVR then!! 😁

Gotta find an AVRX-4500 ASAP!!

Attachments

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Looking good there. Dials look correct. Connect to R Mono. Run only 3mic positions first to see where you get the "subwoofer level". Aim for around -8db to -6db give or take. When Audussey is finished it shows you the results. The gain knob at 12clock should get you close.

I can`t remember was it talked before but when you do the AUdussey setup keep the mic on the stand about 0,5meter away from the rear wall on each mic positions as you have couch against wall.

Conrad.

I was also told that the height is very important when measuring, try and keep it level for all measurements. I understand that that's more important than getting the placements exactly in line.

Waynester

Looking good there. Dials look correct. Connect to R Mono. Run only 3mic positions first to see where you get the "subwoofer level". Aim for around -8db to -6db give or take. When Audussey is finished it shows you the results. The gain knob at 12clock should get you close.

I can`t remember was it talked before but when you do the AUdussey setup keep the mic on the stand about 0,5meter away from the rear wall on each mic positions as you have couch against wall.
Yeah I will do that mate thanks

Audyssey always sets my sub to -6db, it did on the QA3070 🤷🏻‍♂️

as far as the setup mic placement, I’ve been putting the mic where it asks me to on each of the Graphics on the screen, one of which is at the back of the sofa! So I’ve been tilting the mic on its stand and keeping It at the same height as all the other positions, but with this..the mic is only a few centimetres from the actual wall...! I’ve no other way because if I do what you say keeping it 0.5 meter away from the wall, it’s going to be in exactly the same place as some of the other positions 🤦‍♂️😤 and it says to keep the mic no more than 60cm from the last reading 🙄

I’ll try n do you a pic of what I mean

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yeah I will do that mate thanks

Audyssey always sets my sub to -6db, it did on the QA3070 🤷🏻‍♂️

as far as the setup mic placement, I’ve been putting the mic where it asks me to on each of the Graphics on the screen, one of which is at the back of the sofa! So I’ve been tilting the mic on its stand and keeping It at the same height as all the other positions, but with this..the mic is only a few centimetres from the actual wall...! I’ve no other way because if I do what you say keeping it 0.5 meter away from the wall, it’s going to be in exactly the same place as some of the other positions 🤦‍♂️😤 and it says to keep the mic no more than 60cm from the last reading 🙄

I’ll try n do you a pic of what I mean
It has been said that if you keep the mic too close to wall it will affect negatively the results. Keep in mind that the seating against wall in first place is not ideal and often mentioned in articles as one of the worst places to sit. Some treatments as in acoustic panels for the rear wall is recommended, @Conrad. probably knows more on this matter.

Waynester

Here is a pic of how I get the mic in the last positions on the setup procedure, this is where it asks me to place it 🤣

Attachments

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The first 3 mic positions are most important, just keep the mic bit more forward. Listen this short 9min clip!

Waynester

Enjoyed watching that video 👍🏻😁

he makes a point about being 1 metre away from the previous mic position on 1 part of the video, but the Audyssey says no more than 60cm! 1 metre is 100cm! 🤣🤣😂🤦‍♂️ I’m just unsure what to do because I’ve a wall touching the back of my sofa 🙄 and yes as the video states “Garbage In Garbage Out”

another thing, he says (as does Audyssey) to put your mic position 1 at the start of the test in your prime listening position, mine is the far left seat on the sofa, because it reclines! 🤣 but I always set the position 1 mic position as he does in the middle, is that okay to do? There’s only me living here anyway😆 If I put it as the far left seat being position 1, my rear surround Speaker will be way off in position 2🤣 have a look at where I sit (it’s recliner is up)

I can’t pull my sofa forward because I’ll be right on top of my Telly☹ I know it’s only a 55” Panny,

Attachments

DrH

Sitting here listening to new Kef R3‘s from a Marantz SR6013 and the XXLS400 with antimode, I can tell you that Steel Pulse currently on sounds superb. If looking for a new AVR with musical abilities then Marantz hits the spot. I purchased mine at £699 last December against retail of £1399 because the SR6014 had come out. It has different circuitry to the Denon‘s for better music play back.

DrH

I would run it in for a bit to start with. Mine was underwhelming at first but a couple of weeks later it was much better. The sub that is

blacksheep99

Enjoyed watching that video 👍🏻😁

he makes a point about being 1 metre away from the previous mic position on 1 part of the video, but the Audyssey says no more than 60cm! 1 metre is 100cm! 🤣🤣😂🤦‍♂️ I’m just unsure what to do because I’ve a wall touching the back of my sofa 🙄 and yes as the video states “Garbage In Garbage Out”

another thing, he says (as does Audyssey) to put your mic position 1 at the start of the test in your prime listening position, mine is the far left seat on the sofa, because it reclines! 🤣 but I always set the position 1 mic position as he does in the middle, is that okay to do? There’s only me living here anyway😆 If I put it as the far left seat being position 1, my rear surround Speaker will be way off in position 2🤣 have a look at where I sit (it’s recliner is up)

I can’t pull my sofa forward because I’ll be right on top of my Telly☹ I know it’s only a 55” Panny,
Position 1 should be where you sit, at least that’s my understanding. Also looking at your mic and the seat in a reclined position it looks like it needs to be lowered to where your ears would be.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Morning chaps!

My BK XXLS400 FF just arrived, 😁👍🏻
won’t use it until tonight because I want to calibrate it when it’s Quiet, which it isn’t at the moment outside my flat with lawnmowing all morning by the council 😂

I’ve twiddled the dials on the back of it to what I had my QA Sub set to, can you advise if this is correct? I won’t be using the Hi Gain cable, it’s just going straight into my Denon AVR with a sub cable...

I dragged my TV unit to the right, think the new sub placement is the best place it can be for me... now I’ve gotta move my sodding picture above the Telly!🤣

can’t wait to Audyssey the lot of it tonight 👍🏻

Also expecting a nice tidy refund from Thames Water next week because I’ve been paying someone else’s meter for 38 months!! Instead of £16, I’ve been paying £36 a month! Kerchinggggggggg £££££ to a new AVR then!! 😁

Gotta find an AVRX-4500 ASAP!!
Looking good mate!

Didn't think silver would go but it works.:thumbsup:

Waynester

Position 1 should be where you sit, at least that’s my understanding. Also looking at your mic and the seat in a reclined position it looks like it needs to be lowered to where your ears would be.
yeah your right! I’ve been setting the mic to ear height as if I do sit upright on my sofa, which I do a fair bit, but when watching a movie or having music on relaxing, I recline all the time 🤦‍♂️ So maybe I’ll set it lower then 🤣🤔 or in between sitting up or reclining?

Waynester

I would run it in for a bit to start with. Mine was underwhelming at first but a couple of weeks later it was much better. The sub that is
yeah I don’t expect the new BK to blow my mind, but I bet it does straight away after having my QA3070?🤣🤔 anything has to be better than that 😁

gibbsy

yeah your right! I’ve been setting the mic to ear height as if I do sit upright on my sofa, which I do a fair bit, but when watching a movie or having music on relaxing, I recline all the time 🤦‍♂️ So maybe I’ll set it lower then 🤣🤔 or in between sitting up or reclining?
Take the first position from where the head would be, roughly ear height, but not tight against the back of the seat. I set mine to where I recline. You can then follow the Audyssey on screen placements, 60 cm from that first position. Make sure you keep the mic absolutely vertical, no angles at all. If you can get right behind the speakers or certainly out of the way before starting any tones. Use all eight positions.

blacksheep99

Take the first position from where the head would be, roughly ear height, but not tight against the back of the seat. I set mine to where I recline. You can then follow the Audyssey on screen placements, 60 cm from that first position. Make sure you keep the mic absolutely vertical, no angles at all. If you can get right behind the speakers or certainly out of the way before starting any tones. Use all eight positions.
This is where the app is a good thing. You can leave the room and start the tones.

Waynester

This is where the app is a good thing. You can leave the room and start the tones.
I can’t use the app as my Audyssey isn’t the improved X32 version on my 2200 model🙄

Waynester

I always set the mic up perfectly and then stand well out of the way by starting the test with the remote from nowhere near in front of it 👍🏻🤣

Waynester

I always set the mic up perfectly and then stand well out of the way by starting the test with the remote from nowhere near in front of it 👍🏻🤣

So to your eyes, these dials are set in the best place ? I’ve seen a few other peoples BK settings and they look way different, 😂

Attachments

TB Rich

So to your eyes, these dials are set in the best place ? I’ve seen a few other peoples BK settings and they look way different, 😂
Mine's set the same.