• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Change standard Sky box to Sky HD box?

smith2

Established Member
I have a standard Sky subscription, not Sky+, which costs £21 a month. I was just wondering if it would be worth getting an HD box? Could I buy a Sky HD box (ebay or classifieds) and use some of the added features on my existing subscription i.e:

Record/pause live TV
HDMI out
Optical out
Free to air HD channels

Is it essential to have two cables going from LNB to HD box? I only have one cable from the LNB at the moment. As far as I understand, the second cable is only used to record one channel while viewing another, is it not? I don't need this feature.

I realise I would probably have to pair the new box to my viewing card.

Many thanks in advance.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Anyone with a HD display should treat it to a HD source:)

No problem buying a SKY+HD from a third party and marrying your existing card to the new box and accessing the same channels plus the "free" HD channels and the SKY+ part is paid for by your exisiting sub.

However while SKY+ can operate with one feed it is severly compromised in terms of usefullness. You can not watch one channel and record another with only one LNB feed, you can record and watch a recording with one feed.
If you do not need the ability provided by two tuners then go ahead but seriously the two tuner capability is a huge bonus and a good DVR will make you wonder how the hell you managed with a VHS or DVDr:)

smith2

Established Member
Thanks for your response. The main reason I want one is for the better connectivety, HDMI to my tv and projector, and optical audio to my reciever.

Recording TV and HD channels are a bonus.

So long as I don't have to change my subscription I think I'll get one. I may add a second cable from LNB to HD box to get the extra recording functionality at a later date.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom