Change Qnap 219P+ from Raid0 to Raid 1, will I lose my data?

chukwe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been using Raid 0 to store my data over 700GB.

I've decided to go with Raid 1. Will it re-format the drives?

I've been using Raid 0 to store my data over 700GB.

I've decided to go with Raid 1. Will it re-format the drives?

You can't migrate RAID0 to another RAID, RAID1 to 5/6/10 yes.

Should never do it anyway without having a separate backup, RAID isn't backup. Better to get an external USB/eSATA housing for backups and retain RAID 0 for performace & space with a 2 bay unit (unles NAS uptime is critical for disk failure then use RAID1).

Hi Psikey,

I bought the Qnap for backing up my data. Why should I buy another housing for backup?

What should I use Qnap for, if not for backup?

Streaming media via Twonky server, Torrent downloads, web server ... the list goes on!

If your only using it as a backup then just remove the existing volume, create your RAID 1 and re-backup your data to it. You can't migrate RAID 0 to RAID 1 on the QNAP.

Hi Psikey,

Thanks for your reply. Which one is better RAID 0 or RAID 1?

And which one do you prefer based on your experience?

Raid 0 is the opposite of a back up, it puts your data at more risk than a single drive, as if one drive dies it wipes out the data on both.

Riad 1 is mirroring, but if you delete or lose a file one then you lose it on both anyway.

Raid 0 is the opposite of a back up, it puts your data at more risk than a single drive, as if one drive dies it wipes out the data on both.

Riad 1 is mirroring, but if you delete or lose a file one then you lose it on both anyway.

What's the best option for backup?

What's the best option for backup?
RAID (of whatever flavour, apart from RAID 0) is a mechanism for protecting yourself against hardware failures. It increases data redundancy and protects you against physical failure of one (or more) disks. RAID isn't a backup mechanism and you shouldn't rely on it as such a mechanism. if you need backup, use an external disk as psikey said.

But it sounds as though you have your data elsewhere, and use the QNAP as your backup. That's OK, and in that case your best bet is to go with RAID 0 as it provides most capacity for your money. Unless you want to go belt and braces.

Last edited:
Stupid me. I bought the Qnap assuming that it was for backup. What a waste of money. I'll have to sell and get a backup hard drive.

Can someone recommend one for me? Or can I get a casing for the 4TB Samsung?

It can be used purely as a backup, it's just that it can do much more.

How exactly are you using it? Do you use it to copy files to then leave it off most of the time?

Not sure what you mean by 4TB Samsung? Largest single hard drives have only recently hit 3TB.

Last edited:
Hi Psikey,

I've a 500GB Maxtor External drive which I've used for 6 years now. I decided to buy bigger storage and thought NAS was a storage option.

Then I bought Qnap TS-219P+ with 2 X 2TB Samsung F3 and I've copied all my data from Maxtor to the Qnap and left them in my cupboard for months.

Thanks for informing me that NAS is not backup. So I'm looking for an option of my 4TB (2X2TB) Samsung

Any suggestion will help. I've to sell the Qnap if anyone will be interested

Hi Psikey,

I've a 500GB Maxtor External drive which I've used for 6 years now. I decided to buy bigger storage and thought NAS was a storage option.

Then I bought Qnap TS-219P+ with 2 X 2TB Samsung F3 and I've copied all my data from Maxtor to the Qnap and left them in my cupboard for months.

Thanks for informing me that NAS is not backup. So I'm looking for an option of my 4TB (2X2TB) Samsung

Any suggestion will help. I've to sell the Qnap if anyone will be interested

As I mentioned above, the NAS can be used just as a backup device. Some people actually use a NAS purely to backup another NAS.

Security of data is all about not relying on one thing or having your data in one place. It should give you protection if you get an hardware failure.

If you have your data say on your PC's and your using the NAS occassionally to just backup your data then storing away then thats perfectly fine as a backup solution. Its just that for pure backup, external USB hard drives are usually the cheapest option.

In my case, all my important data is duplicated between my HTPC & NAS and then I also have external USB/eSata housing for a 3rd copy which I keep away from the home. So effectively I have 3 sets of hard drives in 3 different devices in 3 separate locations. Most people will just do as you do and have two copies of your data which is fine.

Last edited:
Thanks Psikey for all your information. I'll buy a USB/eSata housing for my data.

What USB/eSata housing do you have?

Just use the NAS as your back up, as long as it isn't the only copy of the data then it is a back up. Also I'd rather use two single disks than combine them in Raid 0, much safer.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I've got some similar questions to the OP.

I've got a QNAP 419 which currently has 2 x 2TB harddrives in it. I was going to at some point get another 2 x 2TB hard drives to make it 8TB in total.

Now really all I use my QNAP 419 for is as a media server as I also have 2 Western Digital My Books, both for backups (time machine etc for my Mac) so not concerned about using the QNAP as a backup.

Am I right in assuming if I run in RAID 0, I'll have nearly 8TB, however if just 1 of the 4 hard drives goes, all my data is lost? Really I just want as much hard drive space as possible, but a protection in place if one of the hard drive goes. What's the best RAID for this? And is it easy to upgrade from my current RAID 0 status?

Cheers

Craig

Using RAID 0, it writes the data segments on both drives. Example, it may write seg1 on drive A and seg2 on drive B. This is not duplication which is RAID 1

On raid 0, if any of the drive fails, all your data is gone

SpeedyR
You are correct, RAID0 gives greatest amount of storage and best performance but no protection if any one drive fails.

You would need to replace the faulty drive then recreate the RAID volume, restore a backup of your QNAP settings and shares, and copy your files back from the Backups. It's just the time and loss of availability while you reestablish your QNAP.

With 4 disk QNAP, RAID5 will give you protection for one failed drive and 3 disks worth of storage. Can't go from RAID0 to another RAID on the QNAP. You would need to delete the existing volume then create the RAID5.

Last edited:
Hi psikey,

I bought the iomega 2TB and backed up my Qnap using eSATA.

I've formatted my Qnap Hard drives.

How do I write back my data from iomega to Qnap?

Plug in your external drive to the NAS & manually copy the files back to the NAS folders you use.

Can do it through Windows but fastest way would be through the QNAP Web File Manager itself. The drive should show as eSata1 or similar in Web File Manager (assuming you have re-established your Shared Folders as before).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom