1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change of voltage for avr300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Erik the Red, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Erik the Red

Erik the Red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just moved from the US to europe (norway) and brought with me my beloved avr300. What is needed to use it here? Anything else than the voltage switch on the back? I was hesitating to put the plug in and thought i should ask here first.

thanks,
    Erik

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You need to change the voltage setting and you will find a small switch by the tuner that adjusts the FM de-emphasis and AM step size from the American specifications to the European specification. Not doing this won't harm the unit it just means you won't be able to pick up radio stations very well. However not changing the voltage would cause permenent damage so please make sure you can see the 230V marking before plugging it in.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,
    can this be the reason why my american Tivoli Two has receiption problems in Europe?
    What "de-emphasis and AM step size" actually mean?

thanks for the answer.

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Not really shure on that as Tivoli is an analogue controled tuner (i.e as far as I know the knob on the fron controls a big variable capacitor) so should not have step size problems a PLL synthesised tuner has (US uses 10K steps europe uses 9K). The problem you would get is that the sound would probably be Dull in FM as the US uses different FM deemphasis to Europe as well.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. Erik the Red

Erik the Red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy,

It works fine - well almost:
    I've had the AVR300 for about a year in the US, and I've never heard the fan before! But now it comes on after a while, even without playing it loud or getting hot.
    I have it in the same stand, driving the same speakers (i.e exactly the same setup) as i've been used to. Is the only difference is that i now have the switch on 230V as I'm in Norway!

Could this be something wrong, or a function of running on 230V?

-Eirik