Change of tv!

Lee11

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was using a 26' Samsung TV, all channels worked fine and picture quality was good.
Bought a new Toshiba 40' tv and it doesn't pick up the majority of freeview channels, mainly BBC ones (no Olympics!!)

I cannot understand how by taking the cable out of one tv and in to the new one how I can lose most of my channels?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

I had a similar prob a few weeks ago when tuning in a new Panasonic Recorder , tried a new HDMI cable that was supplied with the unit and all channels received ok , apparently HDMI leads can cause interference .

Julian

Thanks but I'm not using a hdmi cable. However the tv has hdmi from DVD and Xbox plugged in to it

Thanks but I'm not using a hdmi cable. However the tv has hdmi from DVD and Xbox plugged in to it
Unplug those hdmi cables and try again. If it works ok try other hdmi leads, route them well away from the aerial cable, and/or try a better (double-screened) aerial lead.

If it still doesn't work then the Toshiba tuner is simply less sensitive than the Samsung tuner and requires a stronger signal. A better aerial, or an amplifier (booster) may be the solution.

BUT also check:
1) the aerial plug wiring hasn't been disturbed and is made off properly How To Attach / Wire Up Plugs, Wall Plates & Aerials (if a moulded lead try another) before going that route.
2) there are no channels stored in the 800s that are the 'missing' ones. That would indicate reception from 2 transmitters and that manual tuning may be in order.

PS We assume your aerial is loft- or roof-mounted.

Thanks for the reply Rodders.
I've taken out the HDMI and still no joy.
I've checked the 800's and there are no unknown channels.
The strange part is the 301 etc red button BBC channels are there and working!

I've tried a manual retune based on my local settings and still no joy

I guess my next step is a signal booster?

Have you tried the old Samsung again just to confirm nothing else has changed?

Yeah after being up in the lift adjusting the aerial I plugged the Samsung in and it was better than ever!
Could it be a problem with the new tv?

What model of TV is it? Where are you (pre-DSO area or post-DSO)? A postcode of a nearby pub, school or shop would help.

Does the TV show signal strength and quality readouts, if so what are they for all of the tuned multiplex frequencies? (and with the Samsung if possible).

Are there any amplifiers (aka boosters) in the aerial system? any other TV socket outlets on it? Wat does the aerial look like? (the aerialsandtv website has some examples you can look at to help you identify the style of aerial you have). Is it near other aerials? (closer than 1 metre in any direction).

It's a Toshiba 40BV702B. Digital switch off is taking place on 12th September.
Local postcode is DL3 0un

No signal strength shown but Channels like Dave and Really are being found, but when I'm turning to them they don't show a picture but have a small amount of sound.
Samsung doesn't give any indication either.

There's no amplifiers and aerial is just basic lift aerial. Nothing else close to it apart from next door which I'd guess is also in their attic. It was fitted by the builders when it was built approx 10 years ago

OK this sounds really odd and it's probably a faulty unit...
One last thing to try is a manual tune - see page 5 & 21 of your manual... this will show you signal quality and strength indicators...

Bilsdale is your most likely transmitter and the frequencies are: 34, 21, 31, 27, 42 & 24 (these will change at DSO).

Also check that if you reset and go via a first time install that you have selected the UK in the country option (page 19 of the manual) as it may confuse the set if it's set for another country!.

One final thing to note: That model TV is Full HD Ready - i.e. it does NOT have a Freeview HD tuner built in... if you were expecting it to provide Freeview HD channels after Switchover it won't! You'll need an additional box (e.g a Freeview HD+ PVR).

Last edited:
Thanks Rodders. I've picked up a digital freeview box today and it's picked up all channels. BBC flickers occasionally but I can live with that!
Thank you very much for all your help, much appreciated everyone!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom