Change new Amstrad for a new Samsung?

lordpeewee

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll keep it short as I can. Basically I had a brand new Amstrad fitted yesterday to replace a Thomson refurb (which sucked) which replaced my original Pace (which died after 4 months of use). Last night my recordings on Sky 1 HD failed and every time I tried to record a Hd channel the box would fail to record. Called Sky and they apologised and arranged installation of a brand new Samsung box this Saturday.

This evening I figured out what the problem was - the viewing card wasn't paired to the box properly. Sorted that out and now it works fine. However, the box does make an audible buzzing sound every now and again (probably the hard drive) which is quite irritating. So my question is, should I not tell Sky and get the engineer to install the Samsung, or ring them to say I'll keep my Amstrad?? Thanks for any advice.

Get the engineer to swap the Amstrad for the Samsung. Not only is the Samsung quieter but you'll be able to adjust the contrast setting correctly with it.

The Amstrad HD boxes have an issue with the contrast being stuck on HIGH regardless of what you change the settings to.

I had my Amstrad replaced about 3 weeks ago with a Samsung because of the contrast issue.

get the engineer to swap the amstrad for the samsung. Not only is the samsung quieter but you'll be able to adjust the contrast setting correctly with it.

The amstrad hd boxes have an issue with the contrast being stuck on high regardless of what you change the settings to.

+1

What would happen if the Sky fitter checks your box for the error you reported and because the error has now been fixed by re-pairing the card to the box. He is not going to replace a working box just because it's an Amstrad.

You really would need to have everything with the Amstrad back in its packaging box when he arrives then hopefully he wouldn't test it.

What would happen if the Sky fitter checks your box for the error you reported and because the error has now been fixed by re-pairing the card to the box. He is not going to replace a working box just because it's an Amstrad.

You really would need to have everything with the Amstrad back in its packaging box when he arrives then hopefully he wouldn't test it.

In my experience they dont even look for the fault - they just swap the boxes over...its not worth them spending time looking for the fault....dont worry just wave goodbye to the amstrad!

Get the engineer to swap the Amstrad for the Samsung. Not only is the Samsung quieter but you'll be able to adjust the contrast setting correctly with it.

The Amstrad HD boxes have an issue with the contrast being stuck on HIGH regardless of what you change the settings to.

I had my Amstrad replaced about 3 weeks ago with a Samsung because of the contrast issue.

Hi,

Got new Amstrad myself. All seems ok, in fact no problems yet. Tried to adjust contrast re your comments and find it is stuck also (at least no contrast difference observed).

How do you know contrast is stuck on high and why is this such a problem?

Sorry if my question is basic but as i say my Amstrad STB seems ok, am i just lucky ?

Thanks for all the replies. I think when the chap comes on Saturday I'll point out the buzzing noise, the contrast issue and the picture quality (artifacting), and see what he says. Sounds like the Samsung is a better box so why not?

Thanks for all the replies. I think when the chap comes on Saturday I'll point out the buzzing noise, the contrast issue and the picture quality (artifacting), and see what he says. Sounds like the Samsung is a better box so why not?

I wouldn't even bother to ask his opinion just let him change it and if he does test it, highly unlikely, then tell him the fault is intermittent; he wont want to hang around for it to happen.

I have a Samsung and changing the contrast level to "LOW" has improved the picture no end.

I wouldn't even bother to ask his opinion just let him change it and if he does test it, highly unlikely, then tell him the fault is intermittent; he wont want to hang around for it to happen.

I have a Samsung and changing the contrast level to "LOW" has improved the picture no end.

Hi Dave,

I've got a new Amstrad HD STB which i have adjusted via TV without any problems for white and black levels without any problem (ie change of STB contrast level was neither necessary nor considered irrespective of whether it was stuck or not).

Just out of interest, what is the purpose of adjustable contrast levels on any STB other than to give a coarse adjustment that the TV can then refine ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom