Change In Pet Theft Laws

• Thread starter Deleted member 39001
  • Start date
What an appalling crime dog theft is. Yes there are obviously incredibly severe crimes against people which are recognised as such, but I can't think of any other crime where the penalty is so out of sync with the harm it causes.

Thieves are only stealing the dogs as if they are like an iPhone or bike, but it isn't an exaggeration to say the victim loses a family member. Some people will lapse into deep depressions because of it. I'm certain most dog owners would give the thief all of their positions rather than lose their best friend. In no other case of "theft" (which doesn't seem like a strong enough term) is the value of something so little to the criminal in comparison to the victim. Not to mention the animal itself of course. What a low, low crime.

Another dog theft reported on my local NextDoor app :(

It kinda struck me, this is very typical of human created problems isn't it.
We have, let's say normal dogs, that general people are not really that interested in.
Hey you have a dog, that's nice and move on.
We then decide to impart value, and higher and higher monetary value onto dogs.
Others notice this high value of this 'item' and then steal these to then sell on to make money.

We've basically set out to create a problem that never really existed, and would never has existed if we'd not messed around with things in the 1st place.

I suppose now we'd going to have to go further and come up with solutions to fix the problem we've created.
Microchips won't work, pretty easy to find them and cut them out.
24/7 live trackers will work for a while till it's removed virtually instantly by the thief.
Higher level of punishment?
Seems a pretty safe crime unless there is a genuine high level nationwide database with up to date photos of all stolen dogs.

Shame we've gotten to this point.
Not quite sure how so many dogs are getting stolen. I mean when you have a god it's generally with you, or perhaps in the back garden, no?
Unless it's a general mutty type one, people would not let dogs just wander around would they.

We have, let's say normal dogs, that general people are not really that interested in.
Others notice this high value of this 'item' and then steal these to then sell on to make money.

We've basically set out to create a problem that never really existed, and would never has existed if we'd not messed around with things in the 1st place.

I suppose now we'd going to have to go further and come up with solutions to fix the problem we've created.
24/7 live trackers will work for a while till it's removed virtually instantly by the thief.
Seems a pretty safe crime unless there is a genuine high level nationwide database with up to date photos of all stolen dogs.

Not quite sure how so many dogs are getting stolen. I mean when you have a god it's generally with you, or perhaps in the back garden, no?
Unless it's a general mutty type one, people would not let dogs just wander around would they.

They take them from gardens, houses, from people in the street. One was attempted close to here last week - a van pulled up in front of a car at some traffic lights, two blokes got out and threatened the woman driver, telling her to hand over her dog. When she refused they dragged her out of the car by her hair (open window) before being disturbed and making off empty handed. This was the middle of the day and in a decent area.

They take them from gardens, houses, from people in the street. One was attempted close to here last week - a van pulled up in front of a car at some traffic lights, two blokes got out and threatened the woman driver, telling her to hand over her dog. When she refused they dragged her out of the car by her hair (open window) before being disturbed and making off empty handed. This was the middle of the day and in a decent area.

That's really shocking.
One would think to do something so brazen it would be planned or at least people who know exactly about dogs and how to recognise something with value that's worth the risk.

Perhaps I'm giving criminals too much intelligence here?
But I would have thought perhaps there is a need for something specific and they go out looking for it. Like Miss Jones in Aberdeen wants a Corgi and it willing to pay £800 so the team down in Bristol go out looking for a Corgi for her.
Again, I'm probably over estimating the logistics here, but that's how I'd do it.
Find a buyer, then go looking for what's wanted.
Dechip it, and deliver it to a customer far enough a way there's little chance of any comeback.
And of course there are different people doing the planning, stealing and delivering.

They've probably got buyers lined up for pretty much any type of dog already, but if it's not a desirable breed that can be sold for a large sum or they can't find a buyer they'll use it as bait for fighting dogs, breeding dogs if they've not been fixed, etc.

A friend of mine works aboard a superyacht as an engineer for a billionaire.

They've just employed a dog walker, and, apparently, he's former US special forces. The dogs are of course some kind of expensive pure breeds, but they also wear a pair of matching designer jewellery (BVLGARI?) collars that are worth a couple of million each.....

Seriously......

A friend of mine works aboard a superyacht as an engineer for a billionaire.

They've just employed a dog walker, and, apparently, he's former US special forces. The dogs are of course some kind of expensive pure breeds, but they also wear a pair of matching designer jewellery (BVLGARI?) collars that are worth a couple of million each.....

Seriously......

Love it. I have seen in the US the rich spoil their dogs rotten. Buying them expensive jewellery and clothes. Although I bet he'd be in trouble if the collars broke and lost some of their diamonds!!

It's simply supply and demand, since lockdown dog sales have gone through the roof, the demand was there, so criminals made the supply and was easy money for them, remember the penalty is next to nothing, it's treated the same as mobile phone theft.

One is made from cheaper parts, uses less bits, takes less time to put together, so it's a cheaper product.
The expensive car has to cost more, as it's more expensive to make, with more higher quality parts, and takes longer to assemble.
Nonsense.
But that's another story.
As for jail time for pet thefts. I'm all for it.
But considering that you can sexually assault someone nowadays and get a suspended sentence for it makes me think it will never happen.

Thought as we have had a influx of new members they might like to take a few minutes to read and sign up to this and make it happen.

Last edited:
Just when you think human behaviour couldn't sink any lower, people continue to lower the bar :(
Heard on the news this morning about a new scam to cash in on the dog owner's distress. It goes like this: When your dog has gone missing, someone will phone you up say they have your dog, and will return it for a price (£1000+). Or they simply say they have the dog, and will kill it if you don't pay up.
They don't actually have your dog.

Just when you think human behaviour couldn't sink any lower, people continue to lower the bar :(
Heard on the news this morning about a new scam to cash in on the dog owner's distress. It goes like this: When your dog has gone missing, someone will phone you up say they have your dog, and will return it for a price (£1000+). Or they simply say they have the dog, and will kill it if you don't pay up.
They don't actually have your dog.

Yes and these people won't be scouring the streets looking for "lost dog" posters pinned to trees to target their victims...they'll be hoovering up the owner contact information via the internet.

Signed This is so awful, I don’t know how I would even start to deal with having a dog stolen.

To add to the spate of dog thefts around here, there is also now a dog poisoner. As of a few weeks ago 13 dogs have been killed by them on the National Trust land behind my house, a popular dog walking area. There are now signs up everywhere warning people to keep a close eye on their dogs.

My own dog died a few months ago. He had several health problems but he never quite fully recovered from what I then believed was an allergic reaction to something he encountered on a walk.
It literally floored him, he couldn’t walk and laid on the grass vomiting and with diarrhoea. I picked him up and ran home, quickly bathed him (assuming it could be a contact allergy) and got him to the vet.

Though he recovered he was never quite himself after that and his existing health problems got much worse. Now I think he could have been poisoned. In some ways I’m glad I don’t have a dog at the moment. So many sick and heartless people around.

Signed This is so awful, I don’t know how I would even start to deal with having a dog stolen.

To add to the spate of dog thefts around here, there is also now a dog poisoner. As of a few weeks ago 13 dogs have been killed by them on the National Trust land behind my house, a popular dog walking area. There are now signs up everywhere warning people to keep a close eye on their dogs.

My own dog died a few months ago. He had several health problems but he never quite fully recovered from what I then believed was an allergic reaction to something he encountered on a walk.
It literally floored him, he couldn’t walk and laid on the grass vomiting and with diarrhoea. I picked him up and ran home, quickly bathed him (assuming it could be a contact allergy) and got him to the vet.

Though he recovered he was never quite himself after that and his existing health problems got much worse. Now I think he could have been poisoned. In some ways I’m glad I don’t have a dog at the moment. So many sick and heartless people around.

I‘m so sorry for your loss, where I walk my dog their has been the odd suspected poisoning. But their is no punishment for it, my dog licks things far too much, I have to yank him away from sniffs sometimes as I can’t see what it is, he gets obsessed by smells! Lol, but I worry if he’ll lick something one day that won’t agree with him.

I‘m so sorry for your loss, where I walk my dog their has been the odd suspected poisoning. But their is no punishment for it, my dog licks things far too much, I have to yank him away from sniffs sometimes as I can’t see what it is, he gets obsessed by smells! Lol, but I worry if he’ll lick something one day that won’t agree with him.
Thank you. It’s certainly a worry considering even on a lead it’s difficult to monitor what a dog sniffs or licks every few seconds.
We can only keep a sense of perspective and realise that it’s generally very rare for a dog to come to any harm on a good sniffy walk, though current events have quite understandably made us extra cautious!

Some fantastic news! A new law is 'finally' being introduced for dog kidnapping. The story however doesn't go into details on other animals.
However it does refer to pets so it could be a new law to cover all animals? But specifically dogs, 7 out of every 10 pet thefts was a dog ☹️ but I do hope the new law covers all pets.
they are yet to finalise punishment but are considering jail term up to 5 years.

So it looks like the result we all wanted is nearly here, and pets will finally get the recognition they deserve.

Some fantastic news! A new law is 'finally' being introduced for dog kidnapping. The story however doesn't go into details on other animals.
However it does refer to pets so it could be a new law to cover all animals? But specifically dogs, 7 out of every 10 pet thefts was a dog ☹️ but I do hope the new law covers all pets.
they are yet to finalise punishment but are considering jail term up to 5 years.

So it looks like the result we all wanted is nearly here, and pets will finally get the recognition they deserve.

Smoke and mirrors from the government I’m afraid, but it will all help at the polling station I guess. Dog theft is already well covered by many laws.

Basic theft currently has a maximum of 7 years (although sentencing guidelines would need changing to fully utilise that) and burglary and robbery (if the dog was taken from a house/business premises, or by force/fear on the street) is 14 years… but the new dog abduction law will have a maximum of 5 years? Okay.

It will be interesting to see if any other provisions are included in the legislation (what is actually meant by making it easier to track missing pets?), but the Sky news article lacks any real detail, just emotional clickbait.

Last edited:

I really hope this helps deter the thieves.

Just had to turn off the news because they were interviewing a lady who had 4 puppies stolen.

The horrible people sent a photo of the poor babies in the back of their car looking all frightened and dirty.

It was so distressing to see.

It really makes me hate humans so much that they can do such a terrible thing.

I really hope this helps deter the thieves.

Just had to turn off the news because they were interviewing a lady who had 4 puppies stolen.

The horrible people sent a photo of the poor babies in the back of their car looking all frightened and dirty.

It was so distressing to see.

It really makes me hate humans so much that they can do such a terrible thing.

Depressing isn't it? Some people have a total moral bypass.

Depressing isn't it? Some people have a total moral bypass.
It is very depressing. I know money must be mainly what drives them but it is just an alien concept to do something like that.

Makes me feel extra paranoid when I'm out with maddie (my mini sausage) that someone might take her.

She is super friendly and cute and loves everyone so it would be easy to take her.

I get such anxious thoughts about her being stolen or someone trying and then catastrophise me killing them in the process because I'd die for her 🙄

It is very depressing. I know money must be mainly what drives them but it is just an alien concept to do something like that.

Makes me feel extra paranoid when I'm out with maddie (my mini sausage) that someone might take her.

She is super friendly and cute and loves everyone so it would be easy to take her.

I get such anxious thoughts about her being stolen or someone trying and then catastrophise me killing them in the process because I'd die for her 🙄

We have a Labradoodle and he's also really friendly and will go to anyone for some attention.
I think the main thing is always keeping an eye on your dog. People assume they are safe in the garden but that's not always the case. And we never, ever go off-lead when out walking.

We have a Labradoodle and he's also really friendly and will go to anyone for some attention.
I think the main thing is always keeping an eye on your dog. People assume they are safe in the garden but that's not always the case. And we never, ever go off-lead when out walking.
Oh cute! 😍 Yes, I'm afraid I never have her off lead and I never leave her alone when out. Basically I'm with her all the time. Maybe she just wants to get away from me! 😂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom